1. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

workshop question

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ruskaya, Nov 23, 2020.

I don't really know where to post this question about the workshop section, so I am asking it here. Hope it is the right place.

I have a short story that it is fairly messy and that I cannot control. I would like to try to see why it is not working. I already worked a fair amount of time on it, so I can say that without help it won't go anywhere. Can I post it in the workshop? Or should it be a "finished" story rather than a work-in-transition?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Not speaking for the staff, but my understanding is that is exactly what the Workshop is for - hence its name. It's for works in progress, as you can see by the many stories that have had drafts and redrafts posted. If there is specific advice you are looking for, you should definitely ask for it there.

I know most of my stories posted there are first or second drafts.

ruskaya likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

absolutely - stick it (or an excerpt theres no limit but about 1-2k is generally best, people don't want to critique huge things by and large) in the appropriate workshop board... if you havent already you'll need to give two critques before you can get access.. and thereafter its two given for each one requested

ruskaya likes this.
  4. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

thanks for the answers. I guess I feel nervous because it is what I consider a "bad" piece of writing, but still I can learn a lot from it, so I would like to get feedback. I don't want people to feel like I am dumping on them something that I will probably put in my drawer and forget after I finish it.

ok, I think I already wrote two, or else I will remember to do them.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the worskshop is for works in progress not finished pieces - it even says so in the rules

ruskaya likes this.
  6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'll add my two cents. Post whatever you're comfortable posting in the Workshop. This could include a fairly polished draft that just needs a few comments to help take it to the next level or a rough draft that you're stuck on and need some general advice on. Even if you post a rough draft and never do anything with it again, the comments you receive will probably apply to your other pieces as well.

EFMingo likes this.
  7. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Workshop identification of habitual misuses and trends is usually more valuable than just improving the work on its own.