1. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Workshop searches

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by GraceLikePain, Jul 18, 2020.

I'm new 'round these parts, so I just wanted to ask, is there something I can do to search only for recently posted WIP? I want to fulfill requirements, but it's hard to say anything meaningful on a WIP with like 10 or so replies, when possibly what I could have said was already mentioned by someone else. So is there a way to just pull up anything that was posted in the past ~5 days?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I don't see the point--whenever you go into one of the Workshop subforums you can see all the recent posts right there on the first page.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

not to mention that your impressions as a reader may be different to the other ten responses

that said you can do what you want to do by going to the search box at top right and clicking more which takes you to advanced search

Cdn Writer likes this.
  4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

But repeating what other people have already said, or maybe countering what others have said, can be very useful. If there are 10 replies on a story and all of them point out the same thing as an issue, then it's very likely that this issue must be fixed. If 5 of them call another thing an issue, and the other 5 say they like it, then that part is more a matter of taste. Now, if every critique only mentions new things, then the author loses this information since they only have a single opinion on every issue.

Personally, when I do critiques, I look for stories I find interesting and enjoyable (and not a decade old). Then I usually write my critique without reading anyone else's. This way I write down what I actually think, rather than letting me be influenced by other people's thoughts.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

To answer the question more directly, no, unfortunately there is not.

The Search box on the main page certainly does have a more detailed version of itself one can access by clicking into it and hitting the More... button. And the next page would lead one to think that yes, one can in fact search for "every Workshop thread that's younger than 5 days old", but there's a hitch. You can do it for a particular member for whom one is searching, or for a particular search term. Any attempt to get the software to simply give you every thread in the Workshop of a certain age runs into an error asking for one of the aforementioned search parameters. When I was staff here, this search was useful for determining if members were in fact complying with the requisites to post their own work. But a global "give me everything from this date forward" search is a bit outside the current software build.

You can effect a rather more primitive version of what you seek within each subforum. Click into one of them, look above to where the Start Date shows (red arrow below). That's a button, though it doesn't look it. Click it and it re-orders all the threads in this subforum, newest to oldest. Click again and it goes from oldest to newest.

A far cry from what you asked - I know - but the closest I can come to getting the software to jump through this particular hoop.

quick and dirty.png

GraceLikePain likes this.
  6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

While this is technically true, you can use some tricks to get around it. The search below, for example, gives every Workshop thread in the last five years which has at least one post with 3 periods (.) in it. And odds are that every workshop thread in the last five years matches this criteria.

upload_2020-7-19_1-43-18.png

You get 30 pages of results with a total of 600 matching threads. 600 is probably a limit enforced by the software to make sure search results don't get too big, because I get the same amount if I search the entire forum instead of just the Workshop.

GraceLikePain and Wreybies like this.
  7. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Thanks, that should do nicely.