1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Question Workshop Story in Parts

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Teladan, May 4, 2021.

Hello. Never posted on Support & Feedback before. Nice place you have here.

I'm writing a short story which will probably be around 6k when finished. I no longer post longer stories in the workshop as I appreciate 3-6k is too long for some. My story Bright House, Black Dog was 4.5k and that did get a decent amount of responses though. I've never done it before, but I'd like to post my short story in segments, possibly two. My question is whether or not I could extend that to three. You see, I'd like to get as many responses as possible and dividing my story up would probably be the best way to do this. I wouldn't want to post a 6k story as it's not likely to be read in full and I'd only get one chance. Three posts at 2k each might be better, but it could also just flood the board. Also, I assume 6 critiques would be required. That's not a problem though. Just want your thoughts on this. Thanks.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You're fine so long as you're following the loose 2:1 critique ratio. And the more members you help out, the more likely they will be to help you. You might not get a lot of action by the time you get to the third part, though. Members who click on Part III might not be inclined to read back through the other two.

You can always solicit beta readers if you're looking for targeted detail instead of random quantity. A 6K story is a much smaller commitment than an 80K novel.

Teladan likes this.
  3. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Cheers, Homer. I might just stick with two parts, roughly 3k each. Should be fine. I realised I'd forgotten I have actually posted stories in parts. I posted my novella Mote the Dweller in three chapters, if I recall correctly.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Just to add to this, I've found that posting a small snippet of a larger work is still very beneficial even if you don't end up posting the whole work for review. There's a good chance that if you have issues with pacing or grammar or whatever in the first part, you'll have these same issues in later parts as well. In the grand scheme of things, 6k words isn't a lot to read through, but as Homer pointed out, people might lose interest with parts 2 and 3. So my point is that only posting a small part of your work will still help you a lot.