1. SilverStud

SilverStud New Member

Naming of Areas/Landmarks

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by SilverStud, Feb 23, 2013.

So when I write, I don't really have a technique. I just start word 1 page 1 and write to the end. The problem is that I get hung up on names. Names of people, names of areas/landmarks(shoutout to the title), things like that.
    And before you suggest that I try outlining or writing different events first, just know that I've tried it. When I do, I get hung up on even smaller details. :p

I have a wall. This wall has been the symbol of hope and safety for the people for a thousand years. It has been the single greatest defense against vastly superior armies--and it has held those armies off--for a millennium

What would such a wall be called? I've toyed with grandiose names like "Great Wall of Protection" (corny) and simple ones like "Outer Wall." Ideas?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You could name it after the ruler who had it built, like Hadrian's Wall or something like that.

You could name it after something mythological, like Aegis (shield or breastplate of Zeus).

You could name it after a mountain range - something huge and indestructible that keeps the bad guys away.

3. BitPoet

BitPoet New Member

You can look for synonyms, don't let your mind get stuck on the word 'wall'. If you ask what the wall is to people (insiders and enemies) you'll come up with quite a number of workable alternatives. Barrier, bastion, parapet or ridge are just a few that come to mind (if you're having trouble, think about getting a dictionary of synonyms or finding one on the internet), minstrel's shield is also a well of possibilites. You can either just use the word with its article (people often do so with things that have been around for a long time, so it being 'The Barrier' would be fine), invent a person or place that lends its name to the wall (alliterations make it stick in the mind, just toy with words and you'll find things like 'Baldomir's Bastion' or 'Rowan's Ridge') or add an ajdective, which I do personally find the hardest and the one that will give you a lot of struggles, because people just don't use names like that in everyday speech.

4. SilverStud

SilverStud New Member

Thanks for the ideas! Barrier is my favorite, but the mountain range idea is cool! I've never heard it before.

Thanks again!

5. iolair

iolair Active Member

If you call it something like 'the protector' the people may even project it with some kind of personality.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is it a fabricated wall or a natural formation?

Perhaps something like Foebane, or Marauders' Despair.

7. Xatron

Xatron New Member

You could name it with the name of the one who built it/ordered it built, but have it referred to with another by the people.

8. tlmcintire

tlmcintire New Member

I like the ideas about giving the wall a personality or naming it as if it was a piece of equipment. For example, I'm writing a story where gods reside in different temples and citadels. I have one god in particular that chose not to live in a temple nor a citadel, but instead built a fortress. The fortress was named The Kazak Behemoth. Doing this, I gave the fortress a great presence when compared to the homes of the other gods. It sounds greater than if it was just another temple named with a generic title like Temple of Metal(the ruling element of this god). Good luck with whatever you decide.