1. Rewrite The Ending

Rewrite The Ending Member

World building and handling multiple novel projects

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Rewrite The Ending, Jun 30, 2018.

Hi.

So, I have been trying to set up two, potentially three WIP's and while I do have an idea of the kind of themes I want to write about, and what sort of setting, I am uncertain about the world building.

My preference is writing in the Fantasy genre, with a contemporary setting. What I am uncertain of is, if I work on two different WIP's now, how distinctive can they be when it comes to the world the characters live in? I have been considering a different genre, I do like Crime/Detective and Science Fiction but I don't have specific ideas for any of it as of now.

I know there have been authors who have used the same world building but different characters in different books, but I don't think there is much of a point when I probably will stick to a modern setting in both my WIP's.

I am not sure what to do, how to solve this issue? Do I start with my characters and my themes and then create the world around them? Or...?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If it's just set in the current modern world, except with magic, then it's not really the world you're talking about but the magic systems involved, and how the magic might potentially impact on daily life. In that case, just invent two different magical systems.

I'm not entirely sure what you question or dilemma is. Like, they would be different books - they can be as distinctive as you make them...

Also, the genre's called urban fantasy, I believe.

deadrats likes this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

If you haven't ever finished a novel, I suggest writing them one at a time. Some people can juggle multiple projects, but a lot of people struggle when they try and take on too much. Is there a reason you want to work on so many novels at once? Your ideas aren't going anywhere. They will still be there when you finish your first book and could even be better or more fleshed out by then.

4. Rewrite The Ending

Yes,, I meanr an urban fantasy.

I just am not sure if I have enough ideas at the moment. The reason I work on two novel projedts is because the one has more focus on a family and the other has a college setting, so that can be difficult to juggle in ome novel if the focus is different.

I feel like I have to force two different magic systems now for the world building?

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I still don't understand your dilemma. What do you mean "force"? You wanted them to be unique worlds. If you didn't, then just write two stories in the same world.

Why does a college setting mean there can't be focus on family? If anything, the two are heavily linked. In British culture at least, it's all about independence and "being free in the world" and becoming an adult as you enter university - while still taking your laundry home to be washed, and your parents pay for your food and lend you their car. That's highly family-oriented. It just depends on how you write it.

deadrats likes this.
  6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that this is totally up to you. You can have one world with one magic system, and set both stories in that world. You can have two different worlds that share a magic system, and set one story in each world. You can have two worlds, each with a different magic system, and set one story in each world.

There's really nothing forcing any of these options. Me, I would have one world and one magic system, but the choice is really entirely yours.

I'm unclear, however, on why you apparently want to work on the two novel simultaneously--especially since you say you're not sure you have enough ideas. Why not pick one and finish that one?

deadrats likes this.
  7. Rewrite The Ending

I'm sorry, I overcomplicate things in my head sometimes.

8. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

I have a 'WIP' that's a high fantasy (vaguely medieval, elves and shit) and the novel I'm actually writing (space fantasy, distant future, fun stuff). The magic system works basically the same--it's willpower based, there's just no technopathy (for obvious reasons) in my high fantasy. However, rather than a magic system woven with technology, there's a demon system that my space fantasy novel doesn't currently have...although that might change soon. yay for complex worldbuilding.

Dunno if that helps, but there you are.

9. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Active Member

I ended up writing two different novels because hardcore science fiction can be a bit tedious. When I hate writing on the one, I start in on the other. Though, I do think deadrats has a point.