Tags:
  1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

If You Could Meet Your Younger Self

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flawed personality, Jul 13, 2018.

Hypothetically speaking:

If you could go back in time somehow and meet your younger self (at any age)...what would you say to yourself?

If I could meet myself from the past, I would tell myself to stay strong, and that I will find what I am looking for, it will take time, but it will be so worth it, for all the shit I had/have to endure first to get to the good stuff!

Thanks to @Moon for inspiring this idea.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Moon and ThunderAngel like this.
  2. ReproveTheCurlew

ReproveTheCurlew Active Member

I would tell my 15-year-old self not to go for the Crème Brûlée, but instead to take the cheese platter. How ignorant I was back then is beyond comprehension; the gorgeous taste of Stilton, Wensleydale, and Brie goes beyond anything that sweet caramel can offer - perhaps with the odd grape or olive, it heightens the experience of eating to a sensation of transcendence to heaven. Cheese has the potential to change one's life beyond belief. It is a taste of paradise.

jannert and flawed personality like this.
  3. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

I would say and do absolutely nothing to my young self, save one thing perhaps... "You're going buy $5,000 of Apple stock in 1994, but this time around you won't panic sell as the tech bubble bursts in 2000. Be strong and hold on to those stocks. You'll be glad you did."

The road is long
    With many a winding turn
    That leads us to who knows where
    Who knows where

4. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

This is an interesting question, which roughly translates to "what are your regrets?" I'm ambivalent about this. Part of me would want to warn myself against certain actions--don't be in that relationship for 10 years, don't meet that guy, don't take that job, don't buy that house... But I know that knowing those things would change who I am today. And I like that person. So I don't think I would change anything.

5. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

"I'm you from the future! I'm a time traveler! I've come to kill Steve Buscemi before he takes over the world! WooooooOOoooOOOOoooOOoooOOoOOoooooOooo!"

6. PoemNerd212

PoemNerd212 Contributor Contributor

“Oh Jesus Christ, please don’t do that. You don’t look cute when you do stupid shit like that. Goddamnit. Holy hell, you’re going to have so many embarrassing memories when you grow up. I hope it was worth it you little dumbass.”

Moon and honey hatter like this.
  7. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I would tell myself to embrace being different, especially when others try to instill shame for it.

8. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Young me wouldn't listen to older me anyway. :(

Alan Aspie, jannert, Moon and 2 others like this.
  9. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

1. Don't listen to Dad or let him do you out of getting the kind of education you want. You're gonna need it later, and Dad's an asshole.
    2. That guy in the band who's so interested in you, the one you think you're falling for? He's a manipulative, sadistic people user.
    3. Walk that copyright application envelope straight down to the mailbox together as soon as you sign and seal it.
    4. About those 75-80 hour work weeks...Mind your immune system, Godammit!
    5. Don't believe Mom when she says she has life insurance, or that the house is fine. Give her the money anyway, and if she won't take it, put it in a savings account for her.

10. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

First thing, smash the Game system, second thing, tell myself to get his head out of his ass, get in shape and join the U.S. Marines... he'll thank me later.

Edit: OH, and to tell him not to be a fucking Pussy, it will harm him later on.... that's fears he has will cripple his ass.

Edit: then i'll break a limb, so that he get's that experience as well, so he won't be such a pussy. Damn My dad was right.

Edit: Write and date everything you think of (when it comes to writing) because that will still be there.

Edit: Also your mother is incompetent and will fill your head with nonsense and a false idea of how the world works. Be Strong... be Marine Strong.

Edit: Also stop being an opportunist prick, you are not as special as you think you are... now get teh fuck out there.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Moon likes this.
  11. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

It may seem impossible to believe right now, but you are going to get out of your shithole hometown, meet the most amazing man in college who will become your husband, get to have a fairly successful career in corporate America, own your own dance business for a few years, have a pretty fantastic kid, and become a published author all by the time you're in your mid-40's. Just keep doing what you're doing and girl, your patience and hard work will be rewarded. You got this.

12. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

*Smiles lovingly at myself as I walk by* I wouldn't say a thing. I had to go through what I went through what I went through to become who I became. I'm finally comfortable in the skin I'm in. Thank God for that.

EDIT: I wouldn't tell myself shit! I'd fucking pull myself into a dark alley and drain the blood to almost the point of death.... then I'd kiss myself on the cheek "vampires are real peaches." Smiles at self. "Damn you taste good." *walks off nonchalantly round a corner then frantically punches in 911 calling an ambulance to save me from myself! "Oh fuck what did I just do?! What did I just do?!? Now all my other selfs have to do this or I create a paradox! Great Scott!"

Spencer1990 likes this.
  13. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I would give my 8 year old self a hug and say, "Keep doing what you're doing, and I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and we'll meet 28 year old us in ten years and hopefully she'll say the same thing."

14. mashers

You will... for your 8-year-old self it will be 20 years :p

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  15. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

I somewhat agree with @mashers but I would disagree in that there's definitely a lot I would change about myself. If influencing my past were a possibility, who's to say I wouldn't use that to my advantage in the eternal quest to improve as a person?

Still, though, there's something that seems important about the bad moments I've had. Hell, the good ones too. Just all moments. I definitely wouldn't want to stop myself from experiencing all the negative events and feelings I went through and had, but there was definitely some advice I could have received as a young boy that would've been nice. Like, just let some things go. Pick your battles, both with people and with yourself. And never doubt when you know in your gut to leave a situation.

That's probably the main thing right there: if you want to do something, just do it. If you don't, then don't do it.

16. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

First this,

[​IMG]

Then, using a voice changer and a Super Mario mask to hide my identity, tell him to take my formerly dorky cousin up on joining the Marines. Had enough anger and drive in that young fucker, just needed some fine tuning.

17. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

Seems like everyone on this thread would either tell themselves nothing, or tell themselves to join the Marines. Interesting trend.

flawed personality likes this.
  18. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

"Don't go home with that boy, he's bad news."

I can't think of anything else. Otherwise, I think I did ok. Had fun, learned from my mistakes, banged my head in moshpits, played in a band, pulled good grades, made friends. Good times. :)

19. mashers

Of all the possible things to regret in life, not joining the marines probably isn’t the worst.

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"Change your major. Yes, you'll make less money. Change it anyway. Really. Come on, I'll walk you to the registrar. Stop fighting; I'll release the choke hold when it's done."

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Don't get fat. I know you're not fat now (you young 36-year-old person you) but you will put on weight later on—because you will start grazing constantly. Okay, so you'll take most of the weight off again in your late 60s when you STOP grazing constantly, but the saggy effects will be with you for the rest of your life.

On the other hand, being fat for a while does allow you a different perspective ...so maybe...maybe just start losing it a lot sooner. Like about 20 years sooner....

flawed personality likes this.