Worst Book

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Raven, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remoah

Remoah New Member

Nightpeople by Anthony Eaton, it sucked dick

2. Sigma Omega

Sigma Omega New Member

I really did not like Dracula by Bram Stoker, I had to read it for English and I almost didn't read it because I disliked it so much, and I usually like almost everything I read.

Just my 2 cents.

3. WhiteRider

WhiteRider New Member

The worse book I ever read was Ginger Pie. It was sssoo boring.

4. Analog Worms

Analog Worms New Member

The worst book I read was The Valley of fear by Conan Doyle.

The thing is, I love his other sherlock holmes books. My favourite being the hound of baskervilles.

The Valley of fear was a huge let down for me.

5. Orion

Orion New Member

the worst book I've ever read is Portrait of An Artist As A Young Man. By James Joyce. *shudder*

I hated that book.

6. Neo

Neo Member

If you're referring to American Psycho, it's my favorite book. Catcher was so badly written and the main character was both a total idiot and a shallow, pretentious twat that I could not carry on with the book. Got half way through and literally began dreading having to read on. Put it down and haven't picked it up again. In a word - dire. Catcher in the Rye should have been burned by Hitler. Had he been alive to suffer it.

7. Neo

Neo Member

I have to say that if it is Psycho you're referring to, then you totally miss the point of the book. It's an attack on consumerism and morality. The sex and violence is a nessesary part of the story.

8. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* New Member

I have two books and an entire series that I hate.

1. A Separate Peace.
    First of all it was ridiculous. The main character, Gene was selfish and kind at the same time. The supporting character was basically a god at their school and he didn't have and Achillies heel till after Gene pushed him out of a tree. WTF!
    Then Leper Lepelier was insane and not a leper. He was so a psycopath! He ran away from the army! Then Chet Douglas was jealous of Gene's great mental-5kill but watch out Gene, he sure can play a trumpet! And who knows what Brinker Hadley was thinking.
    I just couldn't stand reading it. The entire book was basically two private highschool boys and the student body who acted like they were in a frat house.
    And one more thing that made the novel it's own, "The Super Sucide Society of the Summer Session" you join by jumping out of a tree.

2. Eldest, I liked Eragon. I didn't hate the book, I just hated reading it. Very repetative and the Author couldn't quite grap the concept that some things are self explanitory. That and my favorite characters were only featured at limited times. I miss Solembum, he was awesome.

3. I LOATHED the entire series of Cirque Du Freak. WTF WTF WTF was it about. First, the guy who wrote it (he doesn't deserve the title of Author) constantly miss-spelled things and couldn't even comprehend sentence structure at all. The books were extremely short, I read the fourth in less that 7 hours at a slow pace. Then at the end the preview wasn't even gripping. NOTHING HAPPENS, it's all boring and it's all been done. AND! if it hasn't been done before this book that means this guy shouldn't have wrote it!
    I liked the first book and that was it. The super spider and the secret circus was nice, but it wasn't really a circus but juuust a freak show, an illegal one at that.
    What is the worst thing you ask? J.K.Rowling gave it praising reviews! WTF...

Those are my picks, I just might have to add to them later.

The Wasp has spoken, it's okay if you didn't listen.

9. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

one i got for christmas was The Historian by Elizabeth someone and it is absolutly terrible. it is so boring i hae attempted to read it like ten times and had to put it back after the first few chapters. i promise i will finish it one day but God, it is so boring.
    Heather

10. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

The Historian? I heard it was really good...I was gonna read it soon.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have read a lot of terribly-written books, and there have also been many that were so bad that I never finished them. But one that does stand out was the first full Star Trek novel, Spock Must Die, by James Blish. The dream war between Spock and his evil twin (I kid you not!) was absolutely horrid, and the Organians condemning the entire Klingon race to a time bubble was beyond awful.

12. sashas

sashas New Member

I think Catcher in the Rye was an awesome awesome book...primarily because it was shallow. It showed both the sides of the issue...how we might hate something while doing the same thing...

One of my least favorite books is The Fountainhead. My girlfriend gifted it to me and said that the Howard Roark's character resembles mine. I couldn't go past page 350 (after force reading the previous 100 pages). Man, I've never seen more two dimensional characters...the bad people were always bad, the ugly people were always ugly...come on, people have layers upon layers of characteristics...good people are bad, and bad people can be good.

One of my favorite books has to be Megacorp. Its a really really sleazy book by Jonathan Black...but there is just something bout it that I totally love.
    Then I like Catch-22.
    I'm currently reading The Plague, and I like it quite a bit so far...though its a translation, so I can never know how Camus writes in French.

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I can't even remember the "bad books" because if it's that horrible, I usually don't get past the first 10 pages... haha.

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

yeah, so had i, that's why i asked my mam for it for christmas. but when i started reading it it just sounds so much like a history book that you would read in school, rather than entertaining. like it is so matter-of-fact about things it makes it soooooo boring. just my opinion on it though, it might be brilliant and i don't have a very good taste in books :)
    Heather

15. Neo

Neo Member

I was lent it once. Didn't get two pages in. That's the one about Dracula, right?

16. NicholasConners

NicholasConners New Member

Anything I've been forced to read in School and any of the books I've read on a school Summer Booklist.

To name a few

The 5 People You Meet In Heaven
    The Old Man And The Sea
    The Pearl
    Of Mice And Men
    The Scarlet Letter
    The Alchemist
    The Things They Carried
    Fahrenheit 451
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Great Expectations

17. Godshaped hole

Godshaped hole New Member

When it comes to Eragon, I couldn't agree more with you. It is awful. But to compare it with The Lord of the Rings? Personally, I like Tolkien, but that is not the point. Lord of the Rings is an original piece of work, while Eragon is the plot from Star Wars wrapped in a fantasy-cover. A complete rip-off. I can not believe how so many people came to worship it.

18. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Nicholas above, quite contraversial in your choices. There are some great reads amongst what you have selected there though Itake the point about the difference in a book when it is forced upon you and when it is by choice.

Scarlet Letter for example, at scholl not enjoyable one jot, nowadays a great book.

Mine some tripish drivel by Val McDermid I expect.

19. Bick

Bick New Member

I liked Eragon, to an extent. Like Godshaped said it was a ripoff, but I mean I still really like Sappira(sp?)'s character. I kind of thought she was cool. That and the character Angela and her cat.

Of mice and men? That's like my number one favorite older book. I know it isn't that old, but yeah. You hate it only because you were forced to read it?

20. xx._bareyoursoul

xx._bareyoursoul New Member

I'm usually quite cautious before picking up books, so lucky for me I haven't stumbled onto too many bad ones. There are fewer bad books that I actually did finish. If something gets too bad I usually just put it down. So I'm a quitter, tee hee.

One book I'm sad to say I ever picked up was Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Friends of mine reccomended the book to me, and I'm glad I borrowed it from them as opposed to paying $25 to get it in the bookstore. He may have been 15 when he wrote it, but that's no excuse for the quality of the writing. Even if I hadn't known that the author was 15, the voice of his writing would have given it away. I was thoroughly unimpressed. I forbid my father from ever purchasing the movie, since I've heard, God forbid, that it's even worse than the books were.

I agree that when books are forced on you, they typically are less enjoyable to read. I got through my English essays on sheer writing skill. I took what little I knew and stretched it out for several pages. Public school teachers can be so gullible.

One reason I think so many students get turned off from reading is that 'classics' get forced on them. However, classics written in a different time period were published in a different world with a different reader in mind. For instance, Great Expectations, had the exact same story been written in this time, would have never sold. The publishing world has changed, and so has the writing. If an editor saw an entire paragraph crammed into one sentence with 50 commas, they'd stop reading right there and send the manuscript back with a rejection slip attached.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A funny story about gullible teachers. My eighth grade teacher, Mrs. Parslow ("Prune-Face Parslow"), always gave me an awful grade on my monthly book reports. One month, I got completely sick of it, so I wrote a report on a book that did not exist except inside my head. It was my first A in her class!

I wonder. I thought back about books and stories that were required for me. The ones I despised, I think of as "forced on me", such as James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Yet others that were required reading were very interesting. I don't know if I would have picked up Tom Sawyer without having had it pushed at me, and the same with Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice and Faulkner's A Rose For Emily. Yet all of these were interesting reads that I do not regret putting the effort into.

22. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

I can understand why you did not like any of the above books mentioned, but Of Mice and Men?

--C'mon!

23. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Ugh. Hated that book.

24. satisverborum2003

satisverborum2003 New Member

One book that I absolutely hated was "Dangerous to know" by Barbara Taylor Bradford. I did like "woman of substance" but when I read this book I kept wondering how something so atrocious could be published. Let's just say that the incestuous twist in the end was too much to take and was so tasteless...

25. RustyHicks

RustyHicks New Member

My head will roll when I say this but...
    Farewell to arms Hemmingway
    I just could not get into the book, it was just too depressing for me.
    Hannibal by Thomas Harris. Just not what I expected, way too weird for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.