1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Medieval Women's clothing and other topic of interest

Discussion in 'Research' started by jannert, Oct 23, 2016.

Here's a website I just discovered today which is incredibly detailed and useful for anyone looking to write accurately about Medieval women, households, etc, and how things were done 'back then.'

Here's what the woman who set up the website has to say, at the start of her home page:

About the website
    This website is designed as a springboard for those who wish to learn a little more about the medieval woman: what she wears and why, how to be beautiful according to medieval standards, her personal hygiene and a little about a MEDIEVAL WOMAN'S LIFE- celebrations and the customs associated with key events in her life- births, deaths, marriages, employment, education, pets and how she spent her days at home and on holidays.

More than anything, it's about the CLOTHES, which is the largest section of the website! My main love is 14th century England, but there are other places and times included as well.

Here is the link to her website:

http://rosaliegilbert.com/index.html

VynniL, matwoolf and Carly Berg like this.
  2. ClaraCoatup

ClaraCoatup Member

This is very cool, Jannert. Thanks for sharing those links.

jannert likes this.
  3. PBrady

PBrady Active Member

There is a UK historian called Kathryn Warner who is incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of medieval life.
    While her speciality subject is Edward II (a very interesting monarch and period in British history), she is interested in wider aspects.
    From his close associations with the ordinary working people it is possible to gain a small insight into the lives of ordinary working people of the period.

She has been very kind in assisting me with understanding certain aspects of that period for a project I was working on a while ago.

She has written much about Queen Isabella

Her book about Edward II is excellent and she is very active on her blog: http://edwardthesecond.blogspot.co.uk/

ClaraCoatup, jannert and matwoolf like this.