Would an agent/publisher forgive this regarding word count?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by GlitterRain7, Apr 24, 2018.

1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

My YA protagonist gets married at the age of 18, supports himself for the most part throughout the book, and is pretty independent with no real parent/guardian. (And apparently YA novels don’t take place over a long span of time like this one?) People have pointed out to me that that’s kind of unconventional for a YA novel, and I’m kind of agreeing with them. So I’m starting to think that it may be better to market it as adult fiction rather than YA. Once again, that’s just my view. I really need to get other’s opinions after they read it.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

But the fact that a lot of exceptions exist shows that it isn't much of a rule

granted its probably truer for unknowns with first novels than it is for someone like Stephen King (Is Carrie a YA novel ? no it isn't)... but you have to wonder how many exceptions are necessary before a rule is more loose guidance

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Don't forget the genre, as well! Beta readers are very helpful there, too, when you aren't sure where your book sits.

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  4. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

"try to submit a novel with a teenage protag as adult fiction and see what feedback you get" isn't a fact, though. And people have successfully pitched and sold adult novels with teen protagonists before, so the point you're trying to make doesn't even come across.

All* YA novels have teenage protagonists, but not all novels with teenage protagonists are YA. There are other factors at work. End of story.

*Not even, but close enough.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

EOTD it really depends what the novel is like in toto ... also who did you have in mind as a reader when you were writing.

Its a flexible line anyway - a lot of YA books are read by adults (Hunger games is a classic example of that, especially after the films game out) and a lot of adult fiction is read by older teenagers ... imo its more important to decide on an actual genre than it is to worry about YA/A

(not least because in a trad deal the agent will give you guidance on that .... if you self pub it matters even less)

6. Tenderiser

That wasn't the fact I was referring to, which I thought was pretty obvious by it being in a separate paragraph and all.

You've also missed the separate point I made. I agree there are exceptions to the rule - there always are. But I think they're exceptions and Steerpike and you don't think they are. There's not really any way to prove it without doing as I suggested, so now we've all put our views forward, others reading the thread can make their own mind up. There's no need to be hostile.

7. big soft moose

If it were true Nick Hornby would have been right in the shit with 'about a boy'... so its not adult because Marcus is only 13, but its not YA because Will is 35 ... arghh this will never sell take this unpublishable slop from my sight at once

(over a million copies sold so far)

8. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

I never said I don't think they're exceptions. Why does that matter, though, when the question is whether or not it's possible GlitterRain's book is adult? Maybe she's one of the exceptions. The answer to the question is still "yes, it's possible."

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  9. Tenderiser

Okay, fair enough. I amend my earlier post:

10. big soft moose

11. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I'll just add that it's common for first novels to be longer than the story merits just because the writer hasn't yet learned to write tightly (and doesn't realize it).

Beta readers most often won't do a thorough line edit to cut out the possible word fat because the novel is supposed to be more finished at that stage (and because it's just so00 time consuming). So, if you haven't already, you might put a few chapters through the workshop, one at a time, and see what comes back. You might get some surprising tips for tightening up the book throughout and end up with a far lower word count.

Also, you do likely have an audience issue. Yes, there are exceptions (aren't there always?), but a younger teen (and kids tend to read "up" a couple of years) and an eighteen-year-old with a grown-up life have very different concerns. So the audience for the first half of the book will be in a totally different stage of life than the audience for the second half. That quite possibly leaves your book with no real identifiable audience. Another way to cut the word count would be to pick one, the kid part of the story or the grown-up part of the story, and cut the other part out. Or do both, in separate books. You could also change it around so the younger version of the character becomes his/her younger sibling.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  12. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

This. You'd be surprised how many words you can lose by tightening up the writing, especially dialogue. I've often chopped paragraphs of dialogue or scene transitions out because they're totally unnecessary.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  13. GlitterRain7

Does that render the book pointless?:pity:

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I--admittedly a complete amateur--wouldn't say pointless, but it seems to me that it could make it hard to market.

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  15. big soft moose

There are lots of books that survive across more than one age (mostly books for adults) - the Winter King by Bernard Cornwell for example Derfel is 10 at the beginning, by the end hes in his mid twenties... by the end of the trilogy hes in his 50s (not counting the fact that hes narrating as an 80 year old monk looking back at his life)

If the book is good then this won't be an issue .... if the book isnt good you've got bigger problems

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  16. GlitterRain7

This may not be the case. The “stage of life” pretty much stays the same for the entire book, in my opinion. Really, the only difference between the beginning and the end of the book is that the MC is married and going to college at the end. It’s not a big change or anything for him, except for the marriage part. (The marriage happens in the last quarter of the book)

17. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Not pointless, just hard to sell. Think of it like a giant supermarket with literary genres beings like aisles. If somebody comes in to buy cereal they go to the cereal aisle. If they want wine they go to the wine aisle. If they want meat....

Now the shopkeeper has your book, but it's not cereal, it's not produce, it's not meat, it's not even an energy drink... so where do they put it? Where does it need to be located in order to match the desires and expectations of a "hungry" customer who walks into the store? Moreover, why would somebody want to eat it if they don't know what it is? Especially when they have oodles and oodles of cereals and meats, which are safe, familiar, easily "digestible" products, to choose from.

If you have no genre, your book gets tossed at the bottom of a dusty endcap between a sifter of nutmeg and a dented can of pears where nobody will ever find it. Or be looking for in the first place.

(it's not as bad or as dramatic as all that, but publishing is a buyer's market to the zillionth degree... there are nearly an infinite amount of choices for both the readers and publishers to choose from, so it almost never makes sense to choose an unmarketable product over and another box of cereal... unless of course, your book is an innovative equivalent of sliced bread, which it probably isn't)

GlitterRain7 and CoyoteKing like this.
  18. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

Didn't you say you were still in high school? I think if you became largely self-supporting, in college and married as you said your character becomes, you would definitely find that a different stage of life. :)

19. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

So, you can change it to better fit what's generally considered more marketable (lower word count, and YA or adult category but not both) or you can leave it the way it is and take your chances. Good luck!

ETA: You might want to check out some YA fiction to see the general scope of the published novels.

CoyoteKing and GlitterRain7 like this.