Would self publishing a poetry collection or short story collection work for new authors?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I've been using Canva lately for my promotional graphic art needs - it's amazing and so easy to use IMO. Some of their graphics are free, but you can buy a license for everything else - $1 for one time use, $10 for multi-use and $100 for multi-use plus extended printing, resale and seats rights. https://about.canva.com/license-agreements/

2. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

image.jpeg I'm not sure how createspace works but this is an example of what kind of cover I can create using Pixlr. I want to know if it could be used and uploaded to createspace. There's nothing low quality or shabby about it unless it needs to be formatted in a certain size or something.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I am getting a self-published vibe from it.

I feel that there are typography issues. The lines of the title are quite far from each other, and I'm not sure about the font--I'm not sure if the serifed font works with the large amount of pattern and detail in the image. The white "Se" of "Sentimental" is also somewhat getting lost in front of the light-colored part of the pattern.

There's also a great deal of white space at the top (I realize that it's filled with pattern, but I still react to it as white space) while the left and right sides are a bit crowded.

4. Laurin Kelly

Outlining the font would help with that, but I'm not sure you can do that in Pixlr. I know you can't in Canva, and it's definitely a weakness of the program.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

As usual, I don't have the vocabulary or even the analytical abilities to explain, but I agree, it looks self-published.

I think it's almost always the font/typesetting that I'm noticing when I notice self-published book covers. But I have no idea how to fix that.

6. Alex R. Encomienda

This was just an example. There are many different fonts I can use and many different background colors. I think it could look pretty good for being free. The problem I was worried about would be if I have to resize it or make it a certain file type in order to be publishable. How does createspace work on that part?

7. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

You'll need a PDF of a certain size to work with Createspace. There's some guidelines here on how to work out how big it'll need to be (and where to leave space for the ISBN etc).

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The fonts that come with your computer/basic software are display fonts and rarely good for print (unless you are running a purpose built design programme like indesign ) - its best to download some purpose designed print fonts from somewhere like font squirell. You've also got to think about kerning and spacing etc

9. Alex R. Encomienda

I'm sorry but since I've never used any sort of software or publishing space, can you explain what kerning means? I though it gets formatted exactly how it is in the docx file?

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Kerning is basically adjusting the space between each letter for a visually pleasing result. On your computer monitor display fonts do it automatically, but print fonts often need a bit of tweaking in indesign or similar.

In regard of PDF it gets formatted exactly as it is in the doc file for display purposes (the portable document format was really meant for moving docs between operating systems etc) but it is this lack of detailed typesetting that draws the line between an amateur cover and one produced by a designer.

(I'd clarify that although I've had some design training, for producing in house documents like newsletters, catalogues etc in indesign, I am not a graphic designer by trade)

11. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Yeah, text is one of the big giveaways for self-published books. Aside from the layout, most of the fonts we're used to seeing on book covers are payware, and there are few good free fonts that can give a similar look.

And remember that, if you do download a free font, you should check it's free for commercial use in that way.

12. big soft moose

I'll probably wind up using League Gothic on mine if I do it myself, which is free for commercial use (and i already have installed on my Indesign anyway) but I'm writing thrillers, I wouldnt use LG on a poetry collection

Theres a good article here https://publishdrive.com/book-cover-font-guide/ which lists a bunch of others , handily categorised by genre

and a couple more

http://www.indesignskills.com/tutorials/fonts-for-book-covers/

https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/08/5-great-fonts-for-book-covers/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  13. Alex R. Encomienda

Is indesign a publishing platform? Or just a place to create covers? And is it free?

14. Laurin Kelly

It's software from Adobe. http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.html I'm not sure how expensive it is (I'm guessing maybe $150-200), but it's definitely not free.

15. big soft moose

You can get it through Adobe CC for $19.99 per month . When it was a pay for package it was about $500. Personally I pay $49.99 a month for the full creative suite. but my photography pays for it and its a pretax expense .

If you want free your best bet is Scribus which is free - but neither are something you learn to use well over a wet weekend, better to hire a designer or use a premade if you don't already know what you are doing.

16. Alex R. Encomienda

Why can't I create one using Pixlr and then just upload it to the publishing platform?

17. Laurin Kelly

You can. It's just not going to look like it was done by someone with experience in design and/or produced with tools that professional graphic artists use. In short, it's not going to look like something a publisher would commission.

Like I said, I've been using Canva for some promo materials, and it gets the job done. I don't think anyone's going to think that a professional graphic artist made them though!

18. big soft moose

That - you can do whatever you want ... but if you want it to look professional it either needs to be done by professionals, or at least using professional tools by someone who knows what they are doing.

If you don't care about it looking professional you may as well use the create space templates or just put it out under a plain white cover

19. Alex R. Encomienda

I have anothe question; people talk about a difference in paper quality? Do we get to choose what paper to use or does it have its own default paper (white)? Because we all know the beige paper is what real books are made of.

20. big soft moose

If you use create space you'll get what your given. I think there may be a choice of two with ingram spark (although i'm not certain) - if you dcide to pay for a print run from a printers instead of using PoD you'll get more choice - but you'll also have more risk and greater logistics

21. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

That's not quite true - you don't get a choice of paper weight, but you can choose between white or cream stock. I was happy with the paper used on mine, it didn't feel flimsy.

@Alex R. Encomienda - they've got a fairly sizeable set of help docs, you'll find most of your answers there.

22. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

I can't answer whether it'll work or not, since there are many definitions there but I really enjoy books that contains short stories and poetry! :) However, I do not know so many other people who do so I cannot say if it's a big market but I hope it is!