Would you ever . . . .

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Bah now I have a new word in my dictionary. Sook.

2. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

lol@the hannible lecter quote. I appreciated it.

Personally, even if I were starving to death, I don't think I'd even be able to muster up the courage to eat another human being to stay alive ...
    and even if I did have the courage, how am I to know how long I'll be stuck on this (hypothetical) mountain for? Also, how do I even know this particular person is edible? They could be enriched with toxins for all I know and even if I were to eat him/her, I would at least like to cook the meat before hand, which seems like an unlikely reality being I'm on a deserted mountain.

All seems like too much effort for lazy ole me, lewl.

3. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Reminds me of a movie I used to love. The premise of it was, there's a plane crash on a big snowy mountain and they survived by yes, eating dead passengers. The thing that always grossed me out wasn't the fact that they actually ate people, but because they ate them raw. Anyway, turns out it was a true story, so it IS possible to survive, just not something I'd endorse very openly.
    As far as me personally doing it, I honestly don't know. That's the simplest and truest answer I can give.

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Mmm.. I'm going to try and stay outta this! I don't know what i would do. I don't really like the thought of doing it because I don't like the thought of eating another human being. Nothing to do with religeon, just not liking the thought.

And guys, try and remember to keep this cool! To each his own thoughts and ideas.:) Oh and Heather, where did this idea come from?

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

i know that, but what if ten lives could be saved from eting one allready dead body?? i wouldn't value my own life above 40 others, but my life over a dead guys, well since he is dead allready i am saying mine.
    wouldn't you rather take the risk and have a chance of surviving rather than just sitting down and letting yourself die??
    i was reading this thing in my mams magazine where some guy ate some people daughter 'cos he was obsessed with the film "Hanibal". i asked my mam weather she would ever eat someone and she said it was sick. so it started from there. i was just curious to be honest, how far people would go to survive.

6. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

It is an intresting subject, how far would I go to survive? Depends on circumstance.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

well, under what circumstances would you eat someone, Doz?

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I have no idea! Depends. But I honestly wouldn't want to.

9. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I would do anything to survive. I could eat a person. Just thinking about how I would leave my daughter without her real mother to care and love for her is enough for me to be able to eat anything...or at least try. i wonder if drinking your own blood would keep you alive?

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Probably barely! And the particular circumstances that you mentioned, then yes. In order to survive to see my family I would. But most likely my children though.

11. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Bah. Under my current situation probably not.

12. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL. but nobody really knows unless they are in that situation. I think if nobody actually told me what it was that I was eating, I might do, I mean, if the plane crashed and they had a fire and they cooked some stuff. I would probably eat it but then feel either guilty as hell or throw up or more likely, both.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'd rather die that eat some one else, not got very much to live for anyway so no one will really miss me.

Sides, I'm a Buddist, I'll just come back as some one or somthing else.

14. Stinger

Stinger New Member

And you thought right.

No one will admit that s/he will eat or kill anyone. But just put them in its situation, they'll do any crime and eat anyone as easily as they eat McDonald's.

They just do it, never say it.;)

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    As an atheist I don't have to worry about any religious taboos. So I would eat the body, but as soon as possible I'd be going to a psychologist, because I'd probably be having some really nasty dreams.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Some cultures eat the people they vanquish, like warriors of other tribes and believe that eating them gives them powers and you eat their soul as you eat their flesh. Something like that. But yeah, ya never really know unless you were put there. It might be easier if it was a stranger that you didn't know, but what if it was your best friend? Or a family member??

17. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Well, I thought about that and thus my use of the word 'probably' in my answer. I don't know, it all depends on the circumstance. I can't really answer honestly to the question until I am in the situation- something that I'm going to try and avoid for now.

18. pyrox91992

pyrox91992 New Member

i have to say, i cant really give an answer. rite now, rite off the bat, i would say definitely not, but like ppl have said, u cant know until u r in the situation urself...

19. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

Wouldn't do it through choice. In fact there are people I wouldn't want to kiss never mind eat. However if you are deprived of food or water you do not think logically and believe me your survival instincts will kick in whether you like it or not.

I would like to say that if any of you are ever starving and standing over my dead body please feel free to tuck in. It will make no difference to me and there would be enough to feed you and three friends. Don't use too much salt though because it's bad for you:D

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Survival instinct is one thing. But as we have seen many times, people do willingly give up their lives to save someone else. We are animals, but we are also beings capable of moral convictions.

This is an example I honestly believe my moral standards would overcome my instinct for survival.

Nevertheless, I would prefer never to test the strength of my belief in that manner.

21. Raven

Raven Banned

I can honestly say I would risk my life to save others.

However

I would eat another to survive also. And most would also do the same. If your on a plane and it crashes you would do what it takes to survive. I would. There’s no shame in admitting it either. We are human and many of us want to see our families again especially if we have children.

So hunger which can turn into pain then stomach cramps because your so hungry to weakness followed by more pain then headaches then finally your so weak you lay there no saliva blurred vision headache then after days of barely any sleep to in and out of consciousness you die.

Or you eat the dead to keep up your strength. Well survival of the fittest then. I'll gladly eat the dead to survive. Do I want to? hell no.

But i don't want to die either, certainly not in a mean less way.

22. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I would have to be pretty desperate to eat another person. I suppose if I had a really good reason to live, I would do it.

Some tribes in Asia and South America used to eat their defeated enemies as a sign of dominance. Nothing says, "You got served!" quite like eating your opponent.

23. secularzarathustra

secularzarathustra New Member

Since the person is dead, and if my survival depended on it, I would eat human flesh. It's taste is frequently described as quite good. Plus as the person is dead, there is no violence done. If I had to kill someone for meat to survive, I would probably have morality qualms until hunger pangs chased them away.

The actual slaughtering/disection would be the most disturbing/interesting part.

Another reason would be doing fieldwork, participant observation, among a tribe that practiced ritualistic limited cannibalism, of which there are arguably still a few practitioners.

Here is an extract from an Oregon State website:
    I've also read other sources that rated human flesh as tasting either similar to pork or to a peculiar highland bird in New Guinea.

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I nearly gagged reading that!

I would like to think that I would hunt down other food first. But if someone prepaerd it first (I really don't want to see it happening!) and I might prefer it to be cooked.... not raw. I hate raw meat from regular animals.

But then again, we do eat other bodies (those that aren't vegetarians) probably every day. Animals run around until they are killed and eaten and we, essentually are animals. In different degrees so really, it probably is human nature. But I would be hesitant to eat a close friend or family member.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please reign this back, folks. A philosophical discussion is ok, but let's not get too lurid.