would you read a 'nook'?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mammamaia, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

While I agree that the name of the device is unfortunate, I would not turn my nose at the device itself. I have an ebook reader in the form of my iPod Touch which is, I think, the bee's knees. There are 117 books in my pocket at any given time.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

The only thing I like about it is that it saves trees, paper, etc.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Or in modern vernacular, the Bnees.

And yes, tthe biggest advantage I see to eReaders is if you are travelling, you can carry a substantial libray in the same space as a single book, even if that book is larger than a back-pocket paperback.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I read electronic books on my iPhone. It takes very little space, and I think the small screen actually makes the text more readable in some respects. On a large page, it's easier for the eyes to wander and lose the line they're on.

5. Switch

Switch Member

Think about how bad this "nook" would be for your eyes, I always read before I go to bed, and staring at the only source of light in the room for up to two hours straight most nights would almost certainly damage your eye sight.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Actually, I think these things are supposed to be okay for your eyes, because the screen isn't actually backlit.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    I would be pretty disappointed if there wasn't a setting to make it backlit. That's one of the few perks to technology, not having to have an outside source of light. Granted, I don't treasure my eyesight as much as some probably do. Okay, I do, but it's a little late to start caring now.

I guess if i had the money, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have, but I still think an actual honest to God paper and ink book is a much better experience.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Most ereaders allow you to pick from a variety of background colors, shades, and brightnesses as well as fonts (to include size, color, and brightness) in order to find a setting that is comfortable for the individual. It took me a while to find one that was restful to mine own eyes, but in the end I did.

9. KanenMaltac

KanenMaltac New Member

The nook has no back light, so it isn't hard on your eyes. Also, the screen is so that it looks just like you're reading an actually book. I got mine back in January, and am in love with it.

10. Switch

Switch Member

Ok, it may not be bad for your eyes (though I still think, even if it's comfortable, it may be damaging) I'd much rather read a real book, when I can turn the pages. It's just so much more authentic.

11. Talako

Talako Member

I own one. No more "damaging" than a regular book.

eReaders have their place.

12. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Like watching TV after dark?

13. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Suuure, and crossing my eyes for a long time will leave them stuck in place. Like others have said, although bright lights like backlit electronics are tiring to the eyes, they don't do any long-term damage. Changing the settings so that it's backlit in rainbow won't either. It would just be very pretty, albeit straining.

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I don't think it would do permanent damage, but it would be a real pain in the arse in terms of strain. That (along with the price) is the main thing that puts me off e-readers.

15. CaKsTeR

CaKsTeR New Member

I dunno, there's something to be said about holding a book in your hands; turning the pages. You lose the feeling of reading a book when you use an eReader.

My mother owns one, it just doesn't seem like one could possibly enjoy it as much as a traditional paperback. One thing I don't understand about some of the eReaders is how they could possibly come without backlight. I would have thought that backlight would be a standard feature in modern day technology.

I'll be sticking with good old paper, thank you very much :)

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

All though I agree, having a back up of information on an Ebook is good. There are still not a lot of books out there on an Ebook.
    And that tends to be the classics, the very old books. I think its good to have a backup. But I wouldn't read it.
    I love the feel of paper.

17. thesilverdepths

thesilverdepths New Member

The nook or blook, whatever it is, while technologically interesting, it really can't hold the candle compared to an actual book (hehe at least in my humble opinion)

I think it's just the smell of pages and Starbucks coffee in a comfy spot that really sells it for me :3 ah b&n how I adore you so

18. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'll read a novel on a Nook. Sure. Prefer an actual book, but using an eBook readers isn't bad.