would you write a letter to a serial killer on death row?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by poptarts, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

To be honest, I'm more interested in the most recent development.
    I'd like photos.

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Ditto!

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I agree. If I had to write a letter to someone in prison, I'd write to a person guilty of shoplifting or theft. I'd ask them why they made the choice and why the object was so important that they had to steal it. I'd also ask them if they'd do it again if they get out.

But to a serial killer? Nope. I shall never write to them.

4. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

We'll do you one better and send y'all a wedding invite. Last I checked it's still legal here in Cali.

5. Link the Writer

Oi! I'm trying to steer this topic back to-

aw heck, what's the point. :p

But yeah, don't talk to that dude, OP. You'll get nothing out of it.

At best, he's reformed and you get to mourn his death because he never got the chance to show the world what a reformed man he is.

At medium, he's a wackjob and will write disturbing letters to you.

At worst, you will not get a reply and you just wasted your time. Time you could've spent reading, playing videogames, writing but instead spent it writing to some dude that's in prison.

The second and third thing is more likely to happen.

6. Forkfoot

I don't feel like combing through twelve pages. Anyone know if OP tells us who the serial killer is so we can google him?

7. Link the Writer

No mention of it. Only that he tortured/killed seven women back in 1999 and he's scheduled to be killed within two years.

What a lowlife coward....I almost wish they had hung the <bleep> when they first caught him.

8. Writing in the Mist

Writing in the Mist New Member

Torturing and killing women? Why didn't they just hang him? Well...maybe they didn't have a sheriff around to make it legal 'n all.

Seriously though, I don't get the imprisonment-for-a-long-time then execute idea. What's that about?

9. Link the Writer

I guess its to give the lawyers a chance to go over the evidence and see if there were any errors. We do not want to risk sending an innocent man to his death for a crime he didn't commit.

However, for cases like this man, when we know he's guilty as sin and he deserves the death penalty, then get it over with.

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

You don't even know who the criminal is. Without this how can you know he is guilty as sin? As sad as it is, there have been numerous cases where people on Death Row were later found innocent.

You are letting the crime blind you from even considering the evidence.

Just because someone is charged and found guilty of torturing and killing 7 women, doesn't mean he actually did it. Just because someone is sitting on death row because of being found guilty, doesn't make it true.

I am also not defending the guy and saying he is innocent.

11. Forkfoot

Hmm... she actually says he was convicted in 1999, and that he tortured/killed several, not seven women. That should be enough to figure it out, right? Google race! Mark, g'set, go!

EDIT: Dammit, can't find anything that matches her description. I'll try again later.

12. Writing in the Mist

Writing in the Mist New Member

Right, of course. ::banghead:: I assumed it was part of the sentence, not the process.

Naturally not. However, the laws in this country (U.S.) usually accept such circumstances as conclusive.

~ Mist

13. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Because waiting to be murdered is a form of torture in itself.

14. Forkfoot

Ooh! Got a definite maybe right here!

Charles Ng? He's a serial killer on death row after being convicted in 1999, and did film himself and his accomplice raping and torturing victims, but he was actually convicted of killing far more males than females. If this is him I'm not sure why TS woulda said tortured and murdered several women when it was actually a mixed bag of a more masculine bent. Still though, he's the closest match I've found so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ng

15. evelon

evelon Active Member

I read this. I don't agree with the death penalty - solely because I think mistakes have happened and will continue to happen.

But I can't believe that someone like this guy (whether he's the person in question or not) has the right to live.

I can feel anger at the way he was (reportedly) treated as a child, you have to wonder why child abuse is so prevalent in all societies, but not everyone who has a bad childhood turns into a cold-blooded killer.

For me he would be a 'strictly no-go area. ' He doesn't deserve your time.

16. Forkfoot

America's first Asian serial killer is unworthy of our time? The man's a part of our national history, like our first black President, or our first hispanic Supreme Court justice!

17. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Serial Killers are interesting - I actually don't know the answer to this question - Charles Ng is particularly intriguing. My ethics say no - but hell yeah I am curious. I grew up with an Uncle who as a police officer was involved in the Moors Murders cases and actually heard the tapes. He was involved in other notorious cases as a senior detective and I didn't know but knew several very senior police officers - only later recognising them later on TV shows about crimes :)

Before my life of lying in bed as a sick person began I was training to be a forensic anthropologist. I love reading about serial killers and murderers (Kathy Reichs is amazing and I am meaning the books not the equally brilliant but all together more light-hearted bones). Quincy started it for me, I had wanted to be an archaeologist then I saw Quincy when I was about 7 or 8 and wanted to be a coroner then realised if I did bones I could do both.

As human beings we are interested in the macabre. I actually have the plot of a thriller in my head but think maybe it's too sick to write but if I was a serial killer know exactly how I would do it lol

I'd want to know they were definitely going to fry him though - I am also a wimp and wouldn't want him coming after me.

Although maybe I should do something about Halcyon looks like I have competition for Forkfoot hmm - since the new hairdo my goodness just my thing :)

18. evelon

evelon Active Member

Agree, he would be an interesting subject to study, if you're interested in that field.

But you can get too close for comfort!

At some point someone will write a book about him - I'll read that.

19. Link the Writer

I have to agree with you. I am interested in the mindset of killers, what drove them to do the unspeakable. Especially if their reason was more than just the boring "I didn't like the way he looked/he had more money than I did." Take Lizzie Borden. Sure she wasn't exactly a serial killer in the sense she went around Fall River, Massachusetts introducing people to her axe, but her history fascinates me. I want to know why she (or someone else) would kill Mr. and Mrs. Borden.

Speaking of serial killer plots, I have a plot that tells about a mass-murdering dictator (fictional, of course), so yeah, firm proof that we humans are interested in the macabre.

I am also a wimp as well. I do not want them coming for me.

20. Forkfoot

Serial killers are by far the most fascinating living organisms on our planet. More so than blue whales, Scientologists and giant squid put together.

Ahh, the battle of the awesome UK accents! You're down by being unable to settle marital disputes with fisticuffs, but up by he and I both being straight guys. Tie game so far.

I hear they needed whackin'.

21. Link the Writer

Well, their only crimes were just being a-holes. Does that deserve being whacked a bunch of time, dear Forkfoot? :p Though I suspect Abby was the worst of the bunch. Stepmother, didn't like the kids, only wanted the money that rightfully belonged to them.

Yeah, small wonder Lizzie went axe happy on her....

22. Forkfoot

Sometimes you gotta whack a fool, that's all's I'm sayin'. Few dozen times, if they still don't listen.

23. Link the Writer

Maybe...

Although a part of me wonders why Lizzie didn't just leave the house. I guess maybe in the 1890s, the woman couldn't just leave the house if she felt like it. She had to have her pa's permission to go off and build a life for herself. I have no idea, mate. :) My interest in history ranges from 1770-1865. 1880/90s if it's about the Wild West.

Although Red Dead Redemption did make me kinda interested in life in 1911.

Ack! Way off topic here! *Steers it back to topic*

Another recent murder story that I study is of the DeFeo murders in 1974, Amityville, Long Island, NY. Yes, the murders did happen. It wasn't just something the movies made up. The movies were based off of a book about the supposed hauntings the new homeowners experienced in 1975. They moved in a year after the murders.

24. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Ah - but what about a Scientologist serial killer who likes to ride a blue whale while hunting for giant squid?

And what about Charlie Sheen? ;)

25. Link the Writer

Okay, who is Charlie Sheen???