1. Another newbie with a dream...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Deleted member 11749, Jul 16, 2009.

Hey everyone ! : )
    I've loved to write since I realized it's one of the few things I'm decent at - or so I'm told. I've tried to start a novel in almost every genre, from sci-fi, to romance, to modern action, to fantasy, and I realized that fantasy is the only thing I feel comfortable writing. The only problem is that I lack commitment and confidence.I'm on my third time starting a fantasy novel, the first two times I've had a weak plot, and this time it is coming along a bit better.
    I'm just going to keep rambling here, because as a website for writers and readers, I think you will understand my state of mind. I really want to be a published author - I am inspired by everything from classical music to movies. But despite my attempts at convincing myself that it IS possible, I just lose faith and give up on my novel when it begins to look weak and uninteresting. I have trouble with description, and I don't know if everyone else writes with a plan formed in their mind, but I just create a plot and start and I find that it comes to me as I go along. The problem is nothing that special has every surfaced when I improvised. I also have trouble with characterization...I can't really describe my character until about twelve pages in, and it's a weak description any how. I'm currently still beginning my third, and it seems good from my perspective, but I just keep doubting myself because I feel my description is lacking.

But enough about me. Sorry to bore you with my blabberings of writers block
    but...this is me ! :)

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Welcome! Cog will roll through here in a bit with the official message, but I'd like to take a moment to suggest taking a stab at the short story contests. Shorts get you to develop ideas faster, and more practice = stronger writing!

Welcome to the board and I hope you find your time here productive.

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Hi, and welcome to Writing Forums! I'm going to second LordKyle's advice, the writing contests are a fun way to work through a short piece of writing. Also, browsing the General Writing and Character Development forums might help you work through your difficulties as well. Hope you have a great time on the forum, it's always nice to see another Canadian :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello J Watson, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

A novel is a lot to tackle straight out. Consider writing some short stories to develop your writing style and to practice character and plot development. Practice pieces are useful for getting feedback without jeopardizing your chances with the writing you plan to publish. Also, by completing and polishing short stories, you build up your confidence for tackling the novel projects.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Thank you all for your welcome and advice : )
    I'll keep it all in mind and make sure I follow the forum rules especially the one about proof reading some other work before posting any of my own. And thanks for letting me know that if I plan on any publication to only post an excerpt of that particular work.