1. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

Wreybies' Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Wreybies, Jun 22, 2014.

This story kinda' stalled out and I'm working on the other story instead for the time being.

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 9.18.45 PM.png

I feel like I've god-modded myself into a corner with this story. It goes like this:

Marco and Orman each have an ancient ship to which they are respectively bonded. They have an adventure together and save the universe. On the adventure, for a time, each is on his respective ship, and both ships are creating a simulation of the other person on the opposite ship. To each of them it is as if they are both on a single ship.

The ships have simulacrum of their original selves as well because they are uploaded entities. For a time there are four characters sharing this shared simulation between ships.

Marco's ship (Nando) is lovesick and emotionally broken. He was the slave and lover of his first owner before he was uploaded and made into the ship's AI.

Marco is falling in love with Orman because that's the story.

Nando becomes deeply jealous and tries to take off with Marco all to himself so they can live forever and ever in the blissfull happiness that Nando will create for Marco. This throws a serious wrench into the works of what they are all supposed to be doing and tasty complications arise.

I'm having trouble settling on a way for Marco to realize what is taking place. If Nando is able to keep the simulation going for Marco without the need for Fred (the other ship) to supply what's going on in the other ship, how would Marco find out without employing some painfully hackneyed Start Trek holodeck imperfection that he picks up on. "There must be a phase inversion in the plasma relays causing the holo-matter to degrade into a sub-quantum state." No. :blech:

I'm thinking of not having Nando hide what he's doing at all and just flat out try and make off with Marco. That would simplify the plot progression to a point, but then I do need the four of them to get back on the same page at some point (Marco, Orman, Nando & Fred) to go do the universe saving stuff. :confuzled:

--------------------------------

The Great House (working title)

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 9.26.30 PM.png

Let's see if I can nutshell this story:

It's premised off of the tried and true Lost Colony trope in Sci-Fi. In the tradition of Pern and Darkover, it's Science Fiction dressed as Fantasy. It's also a M/M romance (erotica?).

Tevin, the Blond Disney Hottie™, golden boy of the fishing fleet, meets Brenn, the unassuming son of the local power family. Brenn's mum, matriarch of the power family, owner of the shipyards that are the heart of the town, is sister and rival to her brother Carl who is the owner of the fishing fleet. When mum and Carl learn of the burgeoning love between Tevin and Brenn, each has plans to work this relationship to their own respective favor and to the disfavor of the other. A proxy war, of sorts. Tevin and Brenn have their own plans and the adventure begins...

Tenderiser likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

So Nando is an AI system?

I'd probably do it like this: Nando has tried to pull the wool over Marco's eyes before, maybe years earlier, over something relatively insignificant. Marco figured it out then. In the current situation, Marco realizes that Nando is saying the same things - acting the same way - as he was that previous time. This makes Marco suspicious, and that's enough for him to put it together.

A variant of this - one that might be better - is that Marco was the one pulling the wool over Nando's eyes that previous time. Nando didn't figure it out until Marco came clean, but Nando learned how deception is done by that experience. So, when he's jealous and trying to get Marco away from Orman, he replays Marco's own moves back to him, so to speak. Marco is now confronted with his own duplicitous tactics, recognizes them, understands what Nando is doing, and feels pretty darn lousy about it himself because he sees that he's the one who taught jealousy and other negative traits to Nando.

3. BookLover

BookLover Senior Member

Wow, that's complicated. I don't know. But good luck with your progress!

4. Wreybies

Endorphin-induced literary epiphany happened today as I was running. I have the ending to my novel 313, finally. I actually, finally, finally know the resolution for Marco.

BayView, deadrats, KaTrian and 3 others like this.
  5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Cool news! Knowing the ending/resolution can make a big difference in writing efficiency and getting that first draft finish.

6. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Geeze. If I was on a ship that was that crazy, I'd want a word with the design team.

And maybe that's a way for Marco to discover the situation. Perhaps the ship-building company requires a maintenance check or log review. Maybe similar reports, perhaps very different issues, from previous technology that eventually was used for these ships, perhaps. Did no one ever, ever, anticipate this? These are ancient ships, so there could be relics for maintenance that need attention.

This sounds like a really fascinating story.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Wreybies

I should probably start a different thread for the second story, "The Great House" (worst working title ever) because that's the one I'm actually working on. The "313" story hit a wall. Well, in truth, EVERYTHING hit a wall for a while there, but it's the other story that started calling to me last week.

Let's see if I can nutshell this story:

It's premised off of the tried and true Lost Colony trope in Sci-Fi. In the tradition of Pern and Darkover, it's Science Fiction dressed as Fantasy. It's also a M/M romance (erotica?).

Tevin, the Blond Disney Hottie™, golden boy of the fishing fleet, meets Brenn, the unassuming son of the local power family. Brenn's mum, matriarch of the power family, owner of the shipyards that are the heart of the town, is sister and rival to her brother Carl who is the owner of the fishing fleet. When mum and Carl learn of the burgeoning love between Tevin and Brenn, each of have plans to work this relationship to their own favor and to the disfavor of the other. A proxy war, of sorts. Tevin and Brenn have their own plans and the adventure begins...

BayView likes this.