1. beehoney

beehoney Member

write in 3rd person without to sound ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by beehoney, Jan 5, 2018.

Hello Writing-Community,

Once I asked you about the first person. Now I ask you about the third person.

I think you must know about every POV.—When to use this one and when not. In my opinion, it makes a writer well. You know, when he/she can choose the perfect POV for each story.

So, let’s talk about the third person. Yeah! I know. You write it with “He/she, his/hers, etc.”. But I wanna know how to write in the third person without to sound like a freshman who finds his story cool because he wrote it.—But for a pro and the reader sound it ridiculous. Do you know what I mean?

If “Yes!” then give some tips, please.

Bye,

Beehoney1

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't know why third person would sound ridiculous, so it's hard to answer the question. Third person sounds totally normal to me.

Seven Crowns and crappycabbage like this.
  3. beehoney

beehoney Member

@ChickenFreak I find it sounds ridiculous when you got someone who watches too many crime tv shows and tries to write this. Or to try to let it sound like his favorite author.

4. ChickenFreak

I’m still not clear on how this is especially an issue with third person. Maybe it would be clearer if you provided an example of a few sentences.

5. beehoney

beehoney Member

Here is an example that I read from a story which was written by a junior: "Jane was shocked. "OMG! A CORPSE!"" Do you know now what i mean.

6. ChickenFreak

But that’s not about third person. It could just as easily be first person:

I was shocked. "OMG! A CORPSE!"

7. beehoney

beehoney Member

anyway, it's sound ridiculous. And I read that kind of sentence often in the third person. Duh!

8. ChickenFreak

I’m still not clear on the question. In the example, the solution is that you don’t insert text speak in dialogue, you refrain from using all caps, you let the reader diagnose the character’s state of mind rather than just telling them what it is, and you probably add action, not just dialogue.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I think the sailent points here are that bee honey is a) a kid and b) not a native english speaker.... this explains much about why this thread doesn't make a lot of sense.

On point you write without sounding ridiculous by not sounding ridiculous - 1st vs 3rd has very little to do with it.. my suggestion would be the Bee Honey read some books by professional authors rather than taking examples from papers written by school kids

10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Believe it or not, but most write in 3rd POV. So it is not ridiculous at all.
    It is in fact way, way easier than 1st POV. It all comes down to how you
    feel the POV fits your needs for your story. So you should write in the POV
    that your are most comfortable with. :)