1. SolCommand

SolCommand New Member

Hey guys ! Came looking for scifi short stories :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SolCommand, Oct 18, 2016.

Hey there guys. I'm a big time scifi fan and I pretty much love everything related to it, ranging from old books, newer audio books, games, movies, art and so on.
    A long time ago I was writing as a passion all kinds of missions and campaigns for pc games and then, for a few years now, I switched and started making scifi 3D models which I give them away for free use on my site to anyone who wants to use them in their projects, personal or commercial (don't worry I'm not gonna give the link here). Thing is I really like my models to have a background story, it gives them character, so I did my best for a while to come up with something nice for each one, but considering I have made well over 200 of them, many remained without a story, mostly due to free time restrictions and also because of lack of inspiration.
    And that brings me here. I came looking for nice original short scifi stories I could use, anything from 5 rows and more. I will start reading some of the things here when I have the time and I'll message you guys for permission to use said stories. I will of course provide full credits to you and even add a link of your choice. Anyway, if you happen to read this and you think you could help out with a story or two, let me know hehe :)

p.s english is not my native language so please excuse me if I make mistakes when writing.

FireMelody likes this.
  2. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

What do you consider 5 rows? Approximately how many words are you looking for?

3. SolCommand

SolCommand New Member

Sorry, my mistake. It was an oversight on my part, didn't realize the font here on the forum is smaller than on my site so 5 rows here become more with the font in my model's description.
    It's not like I have a rule for exactly how long it has to be but I'd say around a minimum of 100 words.
    If you'd like to help out with this project, just search "solcommand" on google and you'll find me. Pick whatever model you wish.

For example, I made this quick description (about 100 words) for a shield generator model:

"This hovering shield generator is designed for use in small planetary colonies as a means of defending against pirate raids or even for natural phenomenons like deadly solar radiation waves. The generator has a very rudimentary power source so it cannot stay in the air indefinitely, instead it sits deactivated on a ground launching pad and, when needed, it is quickly launched into the air where it deploys a shield bubble with a 2 mile radius. This is a quick and cheap way for small colonies to withstand pirate attacks until a local military patrol can come in and take control of the situation."

And this one somewhat larger (300 words) for a battleship:

"This ship's role in combat is that of a sniper. It warps a few hundred kilometers away from the conflict zone and aligns itself with the front facing towards the enemy ships. The capital ship sized artillery cannons mounted on the sides can all fire at once at the target and deliver punishing firepower on even the most heavily armored warships. There isn't much that can stop this behemoth once it enters the fray of the battle and either way, it is designed to warp in, empty its ammo racks, dish out destructive or suppressive fire and then warp out before the enemy ships can enter in range to activate their warp inhibitors. As far as defenses go, it was built with an ultra thick front armor layer that few weapons out there can dent and even fewer can penetrate. Plus, when in combat it raises the top armor plate in front of the main command bridge to protect it from incoming artillery fire. Its achilles' heel is the thin side and back armor, so if it does get pinned down in a warp inhibition field it will most likely get easily flanked by enemy ships due to its poor maneuverability. For these cases it carries several wings of fighters, bombers and other combat and logistics ships. All things considered, to take this battleship down, it will take either another capital ship with equal firepower or an entire fleet of smaller combat ships. Anything less and odds are it will walk away from combat without as much as a scratch.
    The Tagawa Battleship's most notable field deployment was also its first, during the battle for sector supremacy in Ameron's orbit, where it crushed an unsuspecting fleet consisting of two motherships, a carrier and various support ships and the following planetary bombardment where it laid waste on the southern continent and left no building or human standing."

4. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

*ahem* I've got a few things in the workshop you could take a look at, not sure if it's what you're looking for but feel free. But I think it'd be interesting to see if a 3D model came out looking the same as I imagined it when I was writing.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Hi!

I am sure you can find a good Sci-fi short or two here. :p

Welcome and good luck.

Chaos.jpg