1. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Writer events worth going to?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by sprirj, May 1, 2017.

just wondering what kind of literature events take place near or around you? Is it a common thing or is there a demand for it? Personally, I went to my local one (held annually) a few years back and got to hear Sebastian Faulks lecture, which was inspiring. However, in recent years, no one has really caught my interest. I realise, my town may be an exception to the rule, living in Shakespeare's birthplace and all, but I was curious, what is happening globally? Even if it's a book shop worth a visit?

Aceldama likes this.
  2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I guess if it catches your interest, or the topic is something of value to you.

You can learn a lot from online articles and podcasts and such (reputable ones), which don't cost anything but the time to search and view/read/listen.

I occasionally go to libraries and present, and have done so at several universities, to college classes focusing on fantasy/sf and the like. I have an event at the Westerville Library in Ohio in June to present on World Building, invited back after a presentation around a year ago talking about writing and publishing. I was invited to the Bexley Ohio library to be part of a panel on world building for their patrons. These events are free, but they have had events/authors of real note, where they charged a small amount to attend.

Events can be a great opportunity to network and find like minds in the area.

CrimsonAngel and sprirj like this.
  3. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

There are writing conventions and workshops in Colorado. I went one year, it was a lot of fun, but very overwhelming with that many people around, at least for me.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  4. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    Whats cool about Shakespeare to me is that his work seemed genuine. Like he cared about what he was saying, coupled with the fact that he was brilliant. Threw me off to find out a majority if his sonnets were apparently written in a romantic tone to some guy. I haven't read as much from him as I'd like but there is probably a reason why he is considered the greatest English writer.

5. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I like being part of writing groups, I've learned a lot from the ones I've been in and it also helps for motivation to have other writers to talk to (in-person). And yeah writing convention type of events are really good for networking and meeting people, which if you're looking to traditionally publish will help you a lot!

6. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

There are a number of good SFF conventions and conferences in north america. I've gone to a few.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

AWP is a big one in a different city every year. A lot of people go and there are tons of different events going on. Breadloaf is another big one, but you have to apply for that one and it's very hard to get in let alone costly.

8. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

I've been to a writers conference in my local city so that is something you should do.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Pretty much everything event writing event wise,
    happens in Phoenix, and Tuscon, which are all
    about 200-207 miles away. So I don't patron them
    since they are so far away. (Also don't want to get
    caught up in the milder rioting going on there either.)
    There may be some in Flagstaff (118mi), but there too
    may be a bit of a hot spot at the present. (IDK)

Unless you count the little local writers group that
    meets usually once a week an event. :p

10. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

I hung around with the local NaNo group but they weren't really a good match (neither RL politics nor preferred genres).

I don't know any other local groups specifically dedicated to writing, and within that, accepting an English-writing fellow.

I've recenty been hanging around with Mensa's local branch who organize a whole plethora of different lectures and meetups, some writing/art related.