1. baggy

baggy New Member

writer or author

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by baggy, Jun 7, 2012.

Just out of curiosity what do you prefer to call yourself? A writer or an author

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I know that writer/author are one and the same, but this comes to my mind when either of these words are mentioned;

an author, as a writer of books fiction/non fiction.

a writer, as a journalist or short story writer.

Then we have poet, whom is also a writer/author and yet a poet may be seen as a writer but do you ever hear them referred to as authors.

To answer your question,

I'd be honored with either definition; just don't call me an authoress. :eek:

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I wouldn't describe myself as either unless I was making a living from my writing (I'm not saying it's wrong to do that, just personal preference), but if I was then I'd probably say author if I just wrote books and writer if I also wrote for a paper, television etc.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've said this before: Writers and authors are NOT the same thing.

A writer is someone who writes. An author is someone who has written something in the past. There is a large overlap, of course, but not all authors are writers. Stephen King is both - the author of novels like The Stand, but still a writer because he still writes.

On the other hand, Harper Lee is not a writer. She was, once, when she wrote To Kill A Mockingbird, and that makes her the author of that book. But she is no longer a writer, because she hasn't published anything in the decades since. She is an author but not a writer.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'd rather be called Dave.

minstrel: I'll be the first to concur that every word has its own connotations, which is why writers (and authors) take such care to choose the right one. On the other hand, this is a very fine hair you are shaving.

While I can agree that a dead musician is no longer composing, and is instead decomposing, I don't jump on the notion that a dead writer is an oxymoron.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Minstrel - she is also the writer of that book and for all we know she could be slogging away 24/7 trying to write something else in the hope of getting another book published.

I think it is belittling to an author to say that, because they have only had one book published (and made in to a successful Movie) that they are not a writer.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Writer, if I have to. But I prefer 'Guy who writes, and has been lucky enough to be published'.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a writer because i write professionally

before i sold any of my writings, i called myself an 'as yet unpublished/unproduced writer/screenwriter'

i'm an author because i have books/articles/essays/columns in print

that's my take on the 'difference' anyway...

9. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

I'm just Jess, that girl who loves to write.

I don't feel right calling myself 'Writer' or 'Author' because I'm still in my years of learning. But, one day I hope to be able to call myself those names with my head held high. :)

10. baggy

baggy New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have had a couple of short stories published but I haven't earned anything from my writing - yet :) Author sounds a little too grand for me, and calling myself a writer makes me feel like a bit of a fraud.

I agree with Trilby re: authoress

11. koal4e

koal4e New Member

Im a writer, in the sense that I get paid to write for others. I want to be an author, hence starting my first novel ;)

12. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I don't know why but I feel that 'writer' is a nicer word than 'author'. For no other reason than aesthetics I call myself a writer. I have no idea what I'd call myself if I ever get published though.

Whenever I hear the word author it's used in the context of a particular or particular works. Like, he/she is the author of that book. I wouldn't call someone an author unless I was talking specifically about their previous works. I think that being a writer is a profession and that being an author is the possessive word for previous works.

13. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Writer :)

Forever.

14. Afion

Afion New Member

I do most of my writing in my head at the moment, so I should probably call myself a Thinker :p

15. growingpains

growingpains New Member

I call myself a writer because I write. That's literally all I do. I won't ever consider myself as an author until I publish something. And even then I probably won't because I'd feel conceited for using that word. Not to say others are conceited for using that word - they're not. It's just how I personally feel. Too heavy of a word for me to define myself with.

16. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I don't know... for the most part it would be good to just call me "Xeno". It would be much preferred for now, but if i get published i would like to be known as: "The guy who writes crazy stuff"

17. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm a writer. Always have been. I would probably keep calling myself that even if I got something published. I agree with who said it sounds nicer. :)

18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Um...I write my personal journals on my computer, that may never, ever get published at all, and if it does, it will be after my death.

Does that count as me being a writer?

The way I see it:

Writer- Someone who writes.

Author- Someone who published something.

19. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Any differentiating is unnecessary, overly modest, or pretentious. It has nothing to do with past or present, published or unpublished.

Life's too short, people...

20. Erato

Erato New Member

I don't auth.

21. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I thought that there was a distinction between the two, in that writer means you write, and author means you get paid for it. I guess this isn't the case.

I'd rather be called writer because it sounds better. But I want to make money from my writing... perhaps when I'm published I could be called simply a published writer?

22. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Neither, really.

My published writing spreads over many newspaper articles, a number of short stories and poetry but I never want to take up this sort of writing as a profession. Earlier this year I wrote the voice-over for a documentary. This and screenplay-writing is what I would much rather be doing if I do decide to take up something writing-related a profession.

23. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

Writer. I write.