1. TheEndOfMrsY

TheEndOfMrsY Active Member

Kind of new...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheEndOfMrsY, Dec 8, 2020.

So technically i joined in 2012 and didn't use it that much except to post a couple of blogs (which are now completely redundant being written 9 years ago but gave me a giggle at 21 year old me.)

I write mostly psychological based stories and take a lot of inspiration from classic horror and novels.

I figure this is the only think i haven't seen through in my life so i'm going to give it a proper go!

I'd love to hear from anyone else who writes psychological based fiction so I can read your work!

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Welcome... back?! :)

TheEndOfMrsY likes this.
  3. TheEndOfMrsY

Thank you! Hopefully i wont allow myself on an other 8 year hiatus haha!

Madman likes this.
  4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I kind of did the same thing, except my original profile had thousands of rather useless postings that I laugh at nowadays. I came back in full a couple years back and it's been a good time. Learned a lot.

Anyways, welcome back to the forum. We can always use a horror writer and it appears you went straight to provide critiques in the horror section when you came back. That's awesome. Reviewing, in my opinion, is almost more beneficial than writing itself because it gets you to critically look at both someone else's work and your own in time. That's an excellent start.

I write quite a bit of psychological work as well, thought isn't always horror. I enjoy that genre though, enough to be working on a MA degree in horror and gothic elements. Hope to see your work up here in time. I share a portion of mine here, but usually only the experimental stuff where I'm trying to improve something specific.

Anyhow, happy writing and posting! And welcome...back!

Homer Potvin and TheEndOfMrsY like this.
  5. TheEndOfMrsY

Thank you so much, your writing seems right up my street and I will be following and hope to read some of your work!

I don't know what it is about horror and psychological fiction but it always seems to have peaked my interest a lot more. I find a lot of the classic horrors have a lot of psychological elements in, ones that don't outright tell you the characters mentality but enough to make me do some research after ive read.

Gothic elements in horror is; in my opinion, one of the most fascinating elements. There is something about modern horror and psychological stories that don't seem to hit like classics do.

Anyway, can't wait to read some of your work!

EFMingo likes this.
  6. EFMingo

Well, you may be a bit disappointed in that I don't much anything related to horror here right now, except maybe a couple of items. I usually don't post my best stuff. But if you do read any of my little experiments here I will appreciate it. Look forward to see your work too!

Psychological horror is truly special, especially the classics. I'm a huge fan of the unreliable narrators from authors like Poe. Add a new level of insecurity in what is being read. I do, however, disagree with you on modern horror. It's there, if you shuffle through a lot of the same old stuff. There are certainly gems to be dug up in the last decade.

I'm also a massive fan of the female gothic literature. Especially classic ones. The subversive nature of the writing couples well with the genre themes making for very complete and unified narratives that define the genre.

7. TheEndOfMrsY

Always up for reading something new anyway!

Poe and Henry James are two i would think of if you like the un reliable narrator; the turn of the screw was such a good balance between a classic horror and wondering if the protagonist was just insane.

I'll have to try and see if i can find some good newer work! Always open to changing my mind.

EFMingo likes this.
  8. EFMingo

I'd start with Kate Grenville's The Secret River as a baseline for Modern, but there are others for sure.

TheEndOfMrsY likes this.
  9. TheEndOfMrsY

Fantastic! Always up for a good recomendation! Ill give it a go, thank you

EFMingo likes this.
  10. Raerae1217

Raerae1217 New Member

Hey, I'm new too. Looking to see where to post writing.