Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Writing until I'm drained...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by deadrats, Jun 3, 2018.

I find myself writing until I'm drained, like both physically and emotionally drained. Editing does the same to me. I do prefer to work in long stretches rather than break it up over any given course of time. I give this everything I have as quickly as I can. Still, I'm quite slow. And then I always need at least a few days to recover. But I just read during that time so I wouldn't call it wasted. I'm just wondering how many of you write until you feel drained. Is there another way to give everything you've got? But the cycle itself is exhausting.

John Calligan likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

When I'm in a routine (which I'm not right now), I do my pilates, stretches, and exercises first thing in the morning before I sit down. Gets the blood pumping and the mental juices rolling. Usually only have a few hours (if that) before work, so I'm not completely wiped. Work will finish that off for me.

3. deadrats

I have to say, I'm feeling pretty tired. I need to really push myself to be able to do this. I haven't figured out any other way.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Are you finding that it takes longer and longer to get tired? Are you building up any sort of endurance?

deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

That's interesting. Do we build up an endurance while writing? It's a much better way to think of it than it's draining the life out of me. Thank you.