1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Writers who want to be paid are elitists

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Aug 9, 2018.

DK3654 and CoyoteKing like this.
  2. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

It's just ridiculous. I mean, the gall of those authors for believing that they deserve to be paid a little bit for the hours of hard work they've done.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I've actually argued before that paying authors for their work is the opposite of elitism.

Think of the old rules for the Olympics in which only amateurs could take part. That limited the people who could participate to those wealthy enough to devote a LOT of their time to a pursuit for which they could not receive immediate compensation.

Similarly, if we don't pay authors fairly for their work, we're limiting the ranks of full-time writers to people who have enough money to be able to afford to work without compensation. In other words... the elite.

Damn those elitist book pirates!!!

Zerotonin and CoyoteKing like this.
  4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Well, writers who are paid are the elite, in a way. They're the ones who have convinced people that their writing is good enough to be paid for. The ones who rely on writing as their sole means of revenue are members of an even more elite group, constituting only a very small percentage of those who write. I admire those writers enormously.

That said, the pirates' argument is specious. They seem to be arguing that anybody who has a talent should make it available, for free. One wonders where they are getting the revenue to support themselves and their sites. By their logic, if you're a good cook, you should feed people for free; if you're a good musician, you should hold nothing but free concerts. If this were a perfect world where everybody's basic needs are met, the pirates may have a case, but that's not the world we're living in.

Libraries are a different case, because libraries pay for their books. Sometimes these books are donated by authors and publishing companies, but eventually they have to be paid for through conventional book sales. And some libraries, like the one here in my town, actually have ways of loaning out e-books, with the same restrictions on usage as hard-copy books, and there's no reason why these programs can't be expanded to areas that have no brick-and-mortar libraries.

5. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

In Finland we have huge amount of public libraries. And we have something called kirjastokorvaus. It means that authors are paid about acording to the amount of their library readers.

It is not much but more than nothing. 0.16€ per a loan.

6. BayView

I get well over a thousand dollars a year from the Canadian library loans program. I'm all about getting books into libraries!

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  7. Moon

Moon Venuses favorite son Contributor

From the article,

Yeah...I guess authors could print out the reviews and eat those to survive...I mean, even printing cost money so...maybe not...

John-Wayne likes this.
  8. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I would like to live in a world where money is nothing. Where we could work on our talents, and expose them or their fruitious results for free to the masses if they so desired it. I'm a hobbyist - at best - so I'm not going to pretend this affect this all that much, but still, I think somewhere along the line, money corrupts art. Instead of having writers writing goods books, you have good writers writing books - a lot of books.

But, sadly, the world doesn't work that way. Food doesn't just magically appear in the fridge, and if people could do what they liked nothing would ever get done. And ever worse, money is the main driving force in this world. I think it's a rather poor statement to our current situation where more people wish to be rich, then people who wish to be kind, nice or whatever. But still, it's the reality and writers should be paid for their work if they so desire to sell them. I also agree that a lot of the modern generations have a lot of entitlement or fail to see consequences to their actions. So, that's my view I suppose.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Wish literally granted! :eek:

10. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

lol. All I can say is "theft is wrong, and if you disagree with me then you're just saying 'please rob me I don't respect property rights'"...

John-Wayne likes this.
  11. katina

katina Contributor Contributor

What's next?
    poor writers on the rise??

John-Wayne likes this.
  12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Most writers are poor. That is, the total earnings of most writers, if they didn't have a day job, would certainly be poverty-level earnings.

katina likes this.
  13. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Dayum... never considered myself an elites, but there you go. Sorry, if I believe in capitalism and being paid for my work.

Look. Look, mister book theives, just because you are talentless and must resort to stealing other people's hard work doesn't make us better than you, or maybe it does, LOL..

14. Moon

Moon Venuses favorite son Contributor

We're too old school with our thinking, man. I mean, getting paid for work? That's so old school, bro. We've gotta, like, embrace the New-age system of free stuff for all, man. :p

15. John-Wayne

That's Social Marxism for you.... LOL.... Free stuff with no one to pay for it.... we don't need to be paid to eat, pay bills... we should be grateful for being stolen from.... well I am off to eat cardboard.

16. BayView

And, honestly, if the pirates and pirate-supporters were actually going that far, I'd be open to discussion. I think there are serious problems with capitalism and would love to explore a more communal economic system. Yay! But... it has to apply to everything, not just e-books. Like, they'd have to give up all their stuff, and not get paid for any of their stuff, too. And that's where the discussion tends to break down...

ChickenFreak likes this.
  17. John-Wayne

I don't know Bay, you're a pretty damn good capitalist, making money from those books of yours... and nope, I do not intend to share any fruits of my labor with people who did not have a part in it's production. I.E. if the person is an Artist and does my art, an editor and edits, then I share the profits... if not, they can piss off.

Irina Samarskaya likes this.
  18. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Every time you vote for an establishment politician you are being grateful for being stolen from :)

Irina Samarskaya and John-Wayne like this.
  19. John-Wayne

That is for damn sure.... :supercool::supergrin:

Irina Samarskaya and 123456789 like this.
  20. John-Wayne

So just to add a bit more fuel to this fire...

So basically, Capitalism is equated to Elitism, because someone wishes to profit from their endeavors, so all those YT content providers are elitists, every single actor, writer, artist, etc. are elitists.... LOL. Hell, even in normal 9 t0 5 you have to be Capitalistic, with my Job, I see it as a fair trade, they get my services I get their money. though lately that trade is starting to slide one way... but that is what job hunting is for.... Thank God I live in a Place where I can change jobs to one I find better and more suitable. Though I do enjoy being a PharmTech... Retail is not for me. LOL.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, congrats you are all elitists as am I.

21. ChickenFreak

You’re assuming that you wouldn’t end up richer....

22. John-Wayne

Ah, see you took me off ignore to race to Bayview's defense... and naturally your comment makes no sense. What does your comment have to do with what I wrote.

I mention making money from you work, I didn't say anything about getting rich off it, also I mentioned sharing profits only with those people who had contributed to to the work. Each hand in the pie is less profit for me, but I believe in team work and paying people their fair share. I am a terrible artist so having one is an asset not a liability.

23. ChickenFreak

You’re failing to comprehend. You also seem to mistakenly think you’re in a fight.

24. John-Wayne

Sure, keep telling yourself that. The evidence is strewed through out the forums.

Also, explain to me how you insightful comment had anything to due with what i wrote.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  25. ChickenFreak

I ramble:

If I knew that I could reliably get medical care on government single payer, including care when I get old, there are countless things I would give up. Double my taxes? Sure. Write books that go to libraries for free? Cool. The second one is, of course, an empty statement unless and until I finish a publishable-quality book.

I'd do those things just for the benefit of me. I'd give up more for things like free college education for other people's kids, but in that scenario I would absolutely want everybody to pitch in, and I'd want taxes for the extra-rich to be way, way more than doubled.

But at least in the US, books are one of the few things that we do make an effort to make reasonably available. The answer to the poor wanting to read is not to steal books, but to stop cutting library funding.

123456789 likes this.