Novel Writing a book

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Billy Joseph Ethridge, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

That's pretty much it. When I wrote some of my stories I recall having to write a dreadful filler. I was so tempted to stop and give up since I was nowhere near finished. But you could say a burst of needing to finish shot through me the second I found out that @Amanda_Geisler finished her novel. Of course during the time I was stuck, I was planning for my future stories.

graphicsmyway likes this.
  2. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

AWW!!! You're just sad that I finished first :p How does it make you feel to know that I have almost finished the second book now.
    Glad I gave you the motivation to finish though, I always though it would be you that finished your novel first though, you spend a lot more time writing then I do.

Amanda

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I haven't spoken to Mr. King lately (and I suspect you haven't, either), but I suspect that what he meant is that new ideas that occur to him after he has started writing are things he never anticipated when he first started writing the story, so that it seems as if the characters have taken on a life of their own. I think we've all experienced that. I certainly have. It's a natural consequence of the writer's imagination continuing to work out new possibilities even after the basic structure of the story or the character has been established, because the imagination is (or should be) always asking, "And what could happen next?"

Note, I said the writer's imagination.

But there isn't a successful writer going, including Mr. King, who hasn't harnessed those serendipitous thoughts to his/her purposes in order to craft a story. There are probably lots of romantic notions about writing to which novice writers cling. Success usually demands setting most of them aside. If you honestly believe that your characters are beyond your control and this is what prevents you from completing a project, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, and you will never complete a project.

My advice is offered in the sincere hope that you are able to work this out and move your writing career forward. Whether you take it or not is entirely up to you.

jazzabel likes this.
  4. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

It felt like a punch in the gut - thanks for asking. But it fills me with great joy that my word count shot past yours no problem.

I do spend time writing, but obviously when I hit the filler part I felt like dying on the inside because I was stuck on how to transition it. When I rewrote the part I managed to get past it and write a few more chaps. Then you sent your story and I managed to finish the rest in one go.

graphicsmyway likes this.
  5. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

Really why? Sure we have been competing against each other for ages with our story writing but I don't see why it would feel like that.
    I think my finishing my books has something to do with being in the country actually, it seems to have gotten rid of a few writing cobwebs. And what's more is that I couldn't write for weeks after coming back from the city at Easter. It's why I plan to write as much as I can while I'm still out here, I'm going to spend the next couple of years out here finishing my writing degree and writing my books, If I'm lucky I will be a published author by the time I come back.

Amanda

6. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

Because in the end, we both manage to win at something. The fact that you beat me when it came to finishing and the fact that I beat you when it came to word counts.

That would be main reason of why you're able to write easily. Since I'm stuck at my house with little kiddlings and the constant search for a stable job, I can't focus on my story entirely even if I wanted to.

7. graphicsmyway

graphicsmyway Banned

8. graphicsmyway

graphicsmyway Banned

Good, yes can write as much as you can.They will publish you.

9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

I tend to spend months and years thinking about a new book while I write the WIPs. The book I started five weeks ago, I have been thinking about for half a decade. It really helps the process.

If you want to finish *one* book, I'd recommend jotting your ideas for the 'next thing' down on a note pad. As soon as you have the idea fleshed out enough that you will remember where it goes, go back to what you were doing. Otherwise you will spend your whole life never publishing anything and that would be terrible.

peachalulu and jannert like this.
  10. Billy Joseph Ethridge

Billy Joseph Ethridge Member

This is very true and was very helpful. I plowed through a couple of pages before the next chapter came breaking through and was able to add several new chapters. Then when I went back to read the part I plowed through. I ended up deleting the entire part, but knowing now where the story had been and where it was going it gave me the right path to take. Still not finished but over that hurdle and writing like a crazy person again! Thanks!

peachalulu likes this.
  11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's only the beginning of an idea if you don't finish it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

12. Billy Joseph Ethridge

Billy Joseph Ethridge Member

He has said several times that he doesn't know where the stories come from that he feels like he isn't actually creating the stories as much as the story is being channeled through him. Whether he actually believes this or not or it is just his flair for romanticism (that you seem to hate), this is how I feel when I write. The story takes control and and leads me where it wants me to go. Lately I have forced my way through a few pages until the story grabbed me again, but I have since went back and deleted those forced pages. Once I learned where the story was headed ideas flowed on how to correct the parts that were forced. I guess we all have our own creative processes that differ from one another, what works for me may not work for anyone else. By the way is there any of your work available I would love to read some of it.

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I think it's like that for everyone

14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It sounds as if you're a short story writer. I write novels, so it's a different art form, but I think no matter what we're doing we need to finish it.

I'd say hit a compromise here. If a new idea comes to you for a new project, by all means 'jot it down'—but don't stop to develop it. Slip into a new notebook or computer file and jot the idea down. That way it's there and ready to inspire you when you can take it on full time. But then...IMMEDIATELY go back and finish the project you were working on when the new idea hit.

I think you know you need to do this, if you're ever going to become a published author. So don't fight that tendency of yours. Find a way to work with it instead. Retain your new ideas while developing and finishing your old ones.

15. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Even though I finished several writing projects before, I am currently stuck with bouncing between two stories in this way, and out of desperation I just started writing the third. They are all well-written, but I am struggling with choosing a plot and sticking with it. I think I need some serious counselling about my book, I might open a new thread and ask for help myself. Best of luck to you, though, 15 unfinished books is definitely an indication something got out of control there. I hope you soon finish at least one :)

peachalulu likes this.
  16. EdFromNY

Not at all. But if one is going to be a published writer, one needs to have a clear view of where romanticism ends and cold reality begins.

My first attempt at a novel was written that way, so I understand the process. Some folks write like that all the time, but I have found that what works best for me is to have at least a chapter outline. My current project is a historical novel for which I had a very detailed outline, but I found I needed to be flexible so as to be open to those ideas that emerge during the writing process. As the story changed, so did my outline, until the framework of the story was strong enough to stand on its own and I no longer needed the outline. So, I guess my approach is somewhere in between the extremes.

We all have our preferred methods. But the fact that you have 15 unfinished books suggests that you may want to revisit how you approach your work. I agree with @jazzabel - I would try to bring one to a conclusion. Sometimes, I think we back off finishing a work out of lack of confidence that we can. It's easier to say, "Oh, I'm still working on it."

Best of luck.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  17. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Chapter outline - of course! That just might be the middle ground I need, thanks @EdFromNY

18. EdFromNY

You're welcome, @jazzabel.

jazzabel likes this.
  19. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

I have evernote which i use to record inspiration striking. My current rule is no more than two projects at a time and nothing gets switched out unless its finished or irretrievable abandoned.

20. Nightstar99

I have evernote which i use to record inspiration striking. My current rule is no more than two projects at a time and nothing gets switched out unless its finished or irretrievable abandoned.

21. Nightstar99

22. EdFromNY

Tonight on "It's the Mind" we discuss the strange phenomenon of deja vu...

23. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Didn't we just talk about that though? No?

24. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I am one of those writers who gets stories from thin air and builds worlds, lore, characters, subplots in a matter of days if not hours. At times, it's hard to not switch to another story.

Currently, I am focused on my Xchyler project (Due to the deadline) and a novel I had on the slow cooker for nearly a year now. Other stories tried butting themselves in the way but they were still far too fresh or the slow cooker method didn't give them much flavor yet.

I think I am in a very good place in my writing and with discipline my first novel will be the one in my signature :3

25. mustafi

mustafi New Member

I currently have three e book novels that i have completed, and want to publish and also want to do some correction for that reason i am taking help from www.proriters.com