1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

Writing a character from a difficult war in Bosnia

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheMyst7885, Mar 7, 2020.

This character would be a half Russian half American, raised in the US as a special ops soldier and is fighting on a mission in the Bosnian War that was in 1995. He meets a woman who's either of Bosniak or Serbian descent and has a kid. What would be the consequences in doing this? Would it make a difference?

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Could you call the military base and ask them? That would seem to be the best way to get the answer to this question.

The only similar plot I have seen is in the Lee Child Jack Reacher story, "Never Go Back" where it is implied he had an affair with a civilian while posted overseas and she made a claim for child support against him. He (Jack Reacher) didn't know anything about it until he visited a military base and was arrested.

My gut reaction, with *no* knowledge is that the kid could have a claim on the dad's money, perhaps a claim for citizenship, and he could face bullying from his peers within his ethnic group for having an American father....? My guesses anyways.