1. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Japanese Tradition

Discussion in 'Research' started by JGC137, Feb 7, 2009.

Does anyone know about the japanese tradition of how their raise a daughter from birth to become the wife of who ever the family choose. I've been trying to find more about it and for some reason i hit a dead end. I'm trying to find out how they go about choosing and how the families get together. I know that these are business deals.

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

You need to develop your skills with Google searches. I entered "japanese traditional arranged marriages" and got loads of links. According to one I read, even today some Japanese families continue to practice arranged marriages...as do a few other cultures.

3. RurouniGriffin

RurouniGriffin New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omiai

This is a well-thought-out explanation, containing a lot of detail, including the traditional words for the participants and reasons behind decisions.

4. laurelin

laurelin New Member

...well, this kind of practice may have been common in Japan in the feudal era, but definitely not recently. I was under the impression that arranged marriages usually happen in Middle Eastern countries, but Japan is a developed, modernized nation, so perhaps you need to rethink the location of your story.

5. RurouniGriffin

I heartily agree. Did you plan on basing your story in the Samurai/Feudal age of Japan?

6. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Actually my story is set in futuristic NY. But i want to use Omai as a developed twist of old. Thats why i'm looking into in so i can see how to use it.

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Not true. Many parts of Japan still practice arranged marriage, especially in more rural locations. The modernization of Japan should not be confused with its cultural evolution. Sure high population areas have become highly westernized, but the more rural the area the more conservative it is. In these areas arranged marriage is still a very common practice. Just because a nation is "modern" doesn't mean it is "western." Japan as a whole is extremely conservative and traditional nation culturally, especially in the northern and southern regions of Hokkaido and Okinawa.

8. RurouniGriffin

I love your thought! To bring the old into the new and show how much things stay the same even with modernization...interesting!

9. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Although both ends of the spectrum do exist in Japan, based on what I've read, while parents do arrange meetings, more often than not, they allow the ones who would be married to decide if it is going to happen, and they are less likely to be forced and they might be in other countries.