Tags:
  1. naturalhumandisaster

naturalhumandisaster New Member

help with getting my characters together

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by naturalhumandisaster, Oct 1, 2019.

Hi!

I'm writing a romance and I'm really struggling. Everything is going fine so far, but getting my two characters together has been a real struggle for me. I want them to get together naturally, but everything I write seems to not work. I feel sometimes like I'm forcing them to be together, but they want to be together. I guess the scene I'm struggling with in particular is the first kiss scene. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can move forward? How can I make the kiss happen naturally and then continue on developing their relationship as together?

Thank you!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I think all of the "natural" ways people end up kissing for the first time in movies and in books are too romantic and overplayed (ie. the couple listen to sappy music and make eye contact and kiss; the couple see a movie and laugh/cry together and make eye contact and kiss; the couple comfort one another and they kiss; one person saves the other from something and they kiss; end of a good date, they kiss, etc.)

Maybe unnatural is the way to go? An accidental kiss, a shy kiss, kiss on a dare.

How old are the people?

my first kiss was in 9th grade... I tried to do something romantic by getting him to turn his head by pointing out something in the mall, so that I could kiss him on the cheek. But he thought I was trying to prank him so when I leaned in, he turned back to me and I ended up face-butting him in the mouth..... it was very awkward, and very embarrassing. I tried to get up and run away, but he got up and kissed me on the lips instead.
    It was still awkward and very embarrassing.... partly because I tried to "stage" a romantic first kiss (on the cheek!!) and that made it unnatural. Plus it was at the mall. and we were just mall walking and people watching. and I just wanted to *attempt* to kiss him. No romantic setting or romantic music or mood or anything.

naturalhumandisaster likes this.
  3. naturalhumandisaster

The characters are about 17-18. They're walking home after a night together on the fourth of july. The plan was that they were waiting on fireworks, but it never came. Once they do kiss, the fireworks explode. Should I have him just lean in while she's talking? I'm also trying to find the right line of consent, I suppose. I think an interrupted kiss is romantic, but I don't want it to seem sexually agressive.

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

you can have some dialogue going... maybe have him say something like "wouldnt it be funny if our kiss created fireworks?" and she laughs and says something like "that sounds cheesy" and he says "want to see?"
    and they do a shy/hesitant kiss... and fireworks!
    then they laugh and cuddle and watch the fireworks. :)

doesnt have to be that way, but I think a dialogue takes care of the "consent" part

naturalhumandisaster likes this.
  5. naturalhumandisaster

your accidental kiss sparked an idea, thank you so much!!

J.T. Woody likes this.