1. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Police Procedures

Discussion in 'Research' started by ManOrAstroMan, Jun 11, 2012.

Hey, all. I'm working on an urban fantasy/mystery novel. I've got most of it all worked out, but I realize I am kinda fuzzy on the police procedure of a murder investigation. Here are a few of my questions:

*Can a non-relative claim the body of the deceased if the deceased has no living relatives?
    *Do all those interviewed by the police have to give formal statements at the station?
    *About how long is the body of a murder victim kept? Is it until the end of the investigation, or just until all forensic evidence is collected?
    *What's the protocol on a suspected bomb threat near an apartment building?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I just read Henning Mankell's murder mystery novel and as far as I remember, here are some answers to your questions - possibly. Since this is based on a fictional approach, you'll do well to research more or perhaps ask at a police station? Or any friends who work as a police officer? The novel was Swedish.

1. Do all those interviewed by the police have to give formal statements at the station?
    Seems like not, especially as detective novels like to have police threaten reluctant witnesses with "We can do this a lot more formally if you like" - eg. take them back to the station. So it seems like you don't have to - there were several scenes I remember where there were interviews outside of the station.

2. About how long is the body of a murder victim kept? Is it until the end of the investigation, or just until all forensic evidence is collected?
    Again from the same novel - the body was released fairly shortly after its discovery. They just kept it for forensic evidence and etc but it was definitely released before the end of the investigation. However they kept it for a few weeks it would seem in the novel. I don't think the police can keep the body til the end of the investigation anyway because some cases are never solved - then what? The family needs to give a burial you know.

3. Amideus

Amideus New Member

Yes, as long as it is someone close to the deceased (eg: boy/girlfriend, close friend)

No, usually only suspects and, even then usually only when an arrest has been made. Uncooperative witnesses will usually be taken to an interrogation room as well and any interview with a witness that's meeting with the officers at the police station.

When all forensic evidence is collected, pictures are taken and the ME has prescribed a CoD

Not 100%, but I'd guess evacuate the building and have SWAT locate and disarm the bomb

4. Nick Self

Nick Self New Member

100% correct