1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Looking for some advice on my characters, and how they meet

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by frigocc, Apr 28, 2021.

So, writing this zombie comedy where a guy runs into his ex-wife during the apocalypse. Basically, the guy and his friends are thieves/scavengers/bounty hunters. Right off the bat, kinda iffy on this, because there are a lot of similarities with the characters here, and those in Guardians of the Galaxy. So it feels almost like "ripping off" the whole thief/bounty hunter thing, especially since the opening scene is also the main character singing and dancing along to music where most people normally wouldn't.

Anyways, this guy and his wife are broken up. Haven't seen each in a while, no communication, nothing. Well, this warlord finds his wife, who has their dog, and kidnaps the dog as ransom, threatening to kill him if he doesn't steal a certain item from another warlord that the guy often works with (mostly bounties).

I feel like I can hand-wave away how it is the warlord found the main character's ex-wife (it's a movie, don't really have time to worry about that, but was thinking of kinda dropping hints by having his base of operations be an old tax office or something). But what I'm really having trouble with is figuring out how the main character and his ex meet back up. I think it could be plausible that the warlord kidnapped the dog, rather than someone or something else -- since that's really the only thing that could convince the main character to steal from the other warlord -- but I'm not sure it would make much sense for the warlord to rely on the ex-wife to tell the main character about his dog being kidnapped.

I've also thought about HER being the thief, stealing from the main character's employer (the warlord), and them meeting by him getting the bounty for her, but that causes two issues:

1. A big part of her character arc was that she feels powerless and unappreciated. If she's a good enough thief to be entrusted with such an important heist, would kinda throw a wrench in that.

2. The main character's arc is a typical rom-com, zero-to-hero story. He starts out bumbling, messy, a loser with no job. Once the apocalypse hits, I want this to become why this is perfect for him, as he now has no bosses, no bills, and no worries. No one to tell him to clean his bathroom or put away dishes. Giving him a "job" kinda messes with that, unless maybe I think of it more as an independent contractor relationship (as bounty hunters kinda are anyways).

What do you guys think? I think it may be easier to mess with his ex-wife's character arc, as the zero-to-hero story necessitates him... ya know, the main character still being a loser. Perhaps the ex-wife could still feel powerless because she was unable to protect her dog from being kidnapped.

Regardless, if HE'S the thief, I don't know how they meet. But if SHE is, I need a better character arc that makes her sympathetic.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021