1. Neytiri Jade

Neytiri Jade New Member

Writing a scene involving use of psilocybin mushrooms..

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Neytiri Jade, Nov 30, 2015.

Hello there. Quick note: I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to post this- I'm brand spankin' new to the forums- so if not, I apologize in advance.

I am brainstorming for a short piece in which my two main characters- let's call them Hope and Elizabeth- are two friends whom, after a few years of bad history between them, are now several months into forming their friendship. Hope has had romantic feelings for Elizabeth since they met, but Elizabeth does not know this; though she also has felt an attraction there, though much less intense than Hope's feelings for her.

One night they decide to eat magic mushrooms (Hope sort of talks Elizabeth into it), and they wind up in bed together; it is the start of their romantic relationship, although I will only be writing up to after they've made love, and they express mutual longing for each other.

Now onto the point: I am having trouble writing this mushroom scene. I am considering setting it at an EDM festival, but other than that, I haven't gotten much further with the idea. Any suggestions/inspiration/vice versa is welcome, and highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance. It is quite lovely to be here. xx
    Neytiri

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My only suggestion, get the drug high right. Nothing's more annoying to someone who has actually taken a drug than a description which isn't what the drug is actually like.

For example, you don't lose contact with reality on psilocybin so don't make the hallucinations more intense than they actually are.

On belladonna you actually hallucinate images. On mushrooms, peyote and LSD, you don't. Things look distorted, sometimes very distorted, and you can imagine the distortions are images, but you don't actually see images of things that aren't there.

If you want your character to enter a dream world complete with imaginary characters, make up a fictional drug.

3. Neytiri Jade

Neytiri Jade New Member

Thanks for the info! While I do agree with you- hallucinating on shrooms mostly only goes so far as seeing "trails" and whatnot- I will say that I watched a friend take 6x the recommended dose and spend 3hrs in the bathroom talking about the forest he was "slithering" through. :bigeek::rofl:

4. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I know someone who accidentally took mushrooms once on holiday. He said it felt like the sky was a glass dome and that he could move the stars about in the sky. Ended up on the beach from lunchtime til' night time re arranging stars into patterns.