Tags:
  1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Writing a song in chiasmus

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by rktho, Sep 11, 2017.

So I'm working on a musical called Scotch Tape and one of the songs is the first song the protagonist, Gill, writes.

The idea is that the lines reverse themselves. So, for example, the first verse is

You take my breath and give it back again
    I’m feeling light as I have ever been
    You are my strings, my melody and pen
    Love is a pool and I have fallen in

and the last verse is

Love is a pool and I had fallen in
    You are my strings, my melody and pen
    I'm feeling light as I have ever been
    You give me breath and take it back again

So I'm working on the prechorus, which so far goes

You and I are two ends
    Who can say we can’t be true friends
    If you don’t feel how I do then

---- --

I need help with the last line. It has to make sense in reverse, rhyme with the red, and fit the meter of the blue. So it would look like:

---- --
    If you don’t feel how I do then
    Who can say we can’t be true friends
    You and I are two ends

The chorus would be a phrase repeated four times. I need to figure out what it should be, but the second time it will be sung twice, followed by verse three (which is the second verse in reverse,) the chorus, the prechorus in reverse, and the last verse, which is the first verse in reverse.

What I need from this line is a subtle meaning change when the line's context is reversed. That's probably a lot to ask from six syllables. I might consider making that line longer, but if anyone can fit something in as is, that's what I'm aiming for. I don't really care about perfect rhymes; just get the oo and en sound in there. And if it comes down to it, the en can be an eh.