1. motormouth

motormouth Member

writing a star writing a stalker

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by motormouth, Sep 14, 2011.

In my latest script, one of my characters is a musical star who leftthe industry in the prime of his career due to disillusionmnt with the lifestlye he had with it. So how do you write a irate bitter singer Im not too familiar with musical types

Added to this,there an obsessed fan who meets him there (the play is set on a cruise ship at chrsitmas) Shes really obsessed but not to the point that she looks like a total lunaticbut clearly she doesnt have all the screw up there working. Im basing her off of this character (sierra)

But i really want to flesh out both of them.

She worships the star . They cant stand her.

Nots Stalker isnt a main character, but pops up occasionally for comic relief.

Any ideas?

2. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant New Member

Writing a bitter star? Make him ridicule the play/his fellow actors whenever he talks about them (well, not always, unless you'd want it to be a parody of itself). Also, a bitter/depressed MC would probably be rather cynical and negative. Cynicalism is hard to do if you can't see "through" your own story. Try to see past the associations you have made with the ideas you have, and view it as neutrally as possible. If you can manage that, it's easy to be a cynic and to ridicule everyone.

I'm not sure how to do a fangirl, though. It's how I imagine animegirls behave when they meet the Japanese voice actor of Ash Ketchum or something. Maybe you can try and find some video footage of fangirls in the vicinity of the one they are a fan of?

3. cobaltblue

cobaltblue New Member

I'd say how your obsessed fan behaves depends a lot on her age. Younger fans would be more likely to share their obsession with like minded peers - think groups of screaming Beatles fans - groups of screaming Beiber fans - even groups of screaming Brad Pitt fans. Seeing their idol in person and upclose, they might cry or faint or bite their nails to the quick.

An older female would likely be more reserved, possibly hiding her obsession from those around her - she seems perfectly sane on the outside, but after dinner she's over stealing the napkin her idol just used to blot his mouth.. and the spoon from his coffee... and his coffee cup....stuff it all in her oversized purse.

who is they?

Also what level of obsession are we talking here? Happy to constantly follow the star around, hoping to be acknowledged? Cheerfully collecting mementos. Does she think that if the star just got to know her we would love her? How far will she take things? Given the chance would she lock him in a room?

HTH, Blue

4. motormouth

motormouth Member

" They" is actually the singer they are obsessed with. But i love the idea that you gave about the collecting the cup they use. Great