1. Kevin Teichman

Kevin Teichman Active Member

Writing a story in Bavarian

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kevin Teichman, Apr 25, 2018.

I have been studying the German language and culture for a while now, and I have fallen in love with everything Bavaria. Everything from its dialect(s), the tradition, and the Obersee.

My question is though, is what the heck to do I write about? Obviously I want it to be fictional, but I’d appreciate any ideas that I could bounce around and come up with to make this work.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Short answer: take any story idea you have and set it in Bavaria with Bavarian characters doing Bavarian things.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Most people, regardless of culture, want the same things: love, security,a home of some kind, protection of their loved ones, etc.. Start with the characters, figure out what they want, and figure out who or what might stand in the way of that. Then go from there.

4. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

And here we are, the rest of Germany, trying to persuade the Bavarians to declare independence already :supergrin:

Seriously though, that's a very broad question. You can write about damn near anything, depending on the genre you're aiming for. (Bavarian SciFi would be something to behold.)
    Maybe something set in the German part of the Alps, a few generations back so you can describe beautiful landscapes and quirky traditions?

5. Kevin Teichman

Makes sense

6. Kevin Teichman

Yeah it’s just what type of characters and all that. It can’t be too complex a story since I’m not fluent in high German (standard German) much less the Bavarian dialect of it:

7. Kevin Teichman

Yeah I like the Bavarian Alps and the Obersee (absolutely stunning). And I want my story converted from Hochdeutsch (standard German) to Bavarian German.
    Where”Ich bin” becomes “I Bin” or “Der Mann” becomes “Da Mo”, “München” becomes “Minga”, etc.

Further, Die Frau to d’Frau, Wie gehts to Wia Gehds, on and on.

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Mr. Bavaria woke to the sounds and smells of a chilly Bavarian morning. He left his Bavarian house and took the Bavarian public transport system to his Bavarian place of work. He spent the day being generally Bavarian.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  9. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Beer! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:
    Of course you can also write about a person like yourself, who goes to Bavaria and falls in love with everything Bavarian. :write: