Tags:
  1. Chip

Chip Member

writing about travel without sounding like a travelogue

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Chip, Oct 27, 2019.

In a story I'm writing my protagonists (six young women) go traveling through South America, my problem is how do I write this without it sounding like a travelogue?
    Thanks

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Focus on the events from the characters' point of view, rather than the places. I read A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. Although he's a travel writer, the book doesn't read like a travelogue. It's a slightly comic telling of his adventures in Afghanistan in the 1950s.

In essence, write it like a story, not a guidebook. Your characters will have things haooe to them. It's about them so that's what you need to focus on.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Stormburn and StoryForest like this.
  3. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

I agree with Naomasa298. Let the events in the story guide the reader in learning about the location and culture. Your reader will experience things as your character does so let it be told through your character's reactions and interactions.

4. Chip

Chip Member

Thanks for the responses. Here is a section of my story that concerns me, that it is too much of a travelogue, what do you think?
    (quote removed by moderator, see below.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Unfortunately, you can't post writing for critique outside the workshop, for which you will need 2 weeks membership, 20 forum posts and 2 critiques for every piece you post, so I won't look at the writing at this point. If you can state it in general terms, maybe we can help.

6. Chip

Chip Member

Okay, thanks for the tip, I'll just wait on that and repost it later in the workshop forum.

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi @Chip - I'm one of the moderators here.

Yes, @Naomasa298 is correct. You are not allowed to post your work for feedback or critique EXCEPT in the Workshop areas of the forum. And to do that, you have to fulfill a few requirements first.

Please take a look at these two links which should explain it all.

New Member Quick Start
    Forum Rules

I have deleted your excerpt. However, I have saved a copy of it on my computer, in case you haven't got another copy. I'd be happy to restore it to you via a private "Conversation" if you let me know. Just click my owl avatar and 'start a conversation' with me if you want the copy.

Anyway, good luck. And once your two weeks /20 posts/ 2 critique requirements have been met, the software will allow you to post in the Workshop. You are welcome to ask these questions of us then. Meanwhile, enjoy exploring the forum. :)

Cheers, Jan

Chip likes this.