1. WriterWM86

WriterWM86 New Member

Is it safe/is it best...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by WriterWM86, Jan 30, 2012.

I was wondering: is it safe to write when you've had a heck of a bad day or just depressed? Also, is it better to write during the day or at night? I'm just curious.

(Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong section.)

2. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Is it safe to write when you've had a bad day? Are you afraid you might want write something dangerous? Well, unless you're going to write something that could get you arrested if it falls into the wrong hands, I can't see how it would be "dangerous" to write after a bad day. (Unless you are prone to tossing your computer across the room in frustration. Yes, then it is probably best to not write at that time.) But if you got control of yourself, I see no reason why having a bad day means you can't write. It might even help you get through a conflict. As for if it's better to write during at the day or at night, that's gonna be different for every person. Write when it's best for you.

3. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Rewrites make the question moot.

If you have a bad day you should still write, still exercise the mental and emotional muscles that let you write, so they don't weaken. If you find you're written something awful, you can always fix it (or trash it) during the rewrite.

4. Berber

Berber Active Member

Sometimes I write best when I'm having an off day - gets the emotions flowing. There's no best time or state for someone to write, just simply write. Edit if need be, but don't let a certain time of day or mood bar you from your work. If people only wrote when they were in a good mood after a great day then much less writing would ever get completed.

5. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

Never stifle creativity.

What comes out during a bad day may inspire you to plumb new depths of your abilities.

Like they said before - if you don't like it you can always consign it to the waste bin of history.

6. jc.

jc. Member

It is absolutely great to write when you're in a bad mood. I find that channeling my negative energy into something productive has given me a LOT of great material in the past. Before I moved and lost my notebook, I had an entire collection of dark poetry that I was proud of. Hopefully someday that elusive notebook will turn up.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Writing during the day is best for me.
    I have a clear head thus a clearer vivider imagination.
    I can't write when I am upset/tired.
    I need tofeel inspired/good to write.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I simply cannot put pen to paper as it were.
    I just don't have the will no the motivation to get word in edgeways.
    I guess that is why I cannot write dark and macabre.
    I can write 'sharp'materials and it is sometimes not always understood what I am trying to say and I get a lot of people annoyed with me because they do not understand what I am trying to say.
    That is my darkish if you like.

9. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

This. Definitely.

A few years ago I used to put everything I wrote when I was in a bad mood (and usually drunk) on a blog. Great stress reliever - and by the time I was finished with a story the sun would usually be coming up so I'd fall asleep quickly rather than lying in bed for hours worrying about it. The only person who had the link to that blog was my (at-the-time) partner.

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I've written some of my best passages when in a bad mood or depressed, but then I tend to write darker stuff. I couldn't see myself writing "Mary Poppins" after a bad day...

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no one or best answer to those questions, because it all depends on the person... what works for me may not work for you and vice versa... same goes for anyone else and you... so it's useless to ask such questions...