1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"Girl Rising". Wow, just wow.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 17, 2013.

I'm watching this special on CNN right now called, Girl Rising. It's fantastic. The reason I'm putting this here instead of in the "entertainment" sub-forum is the topic is much more than just entertainment.

So much to talk about but I'll start by asking if anyone else has seen it?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've seen parts of it... and much more, on the subjects covered, since i keep up on such things 24/7, in my 'day job' as a practicing philosopher...

it's both inspiring and disheartening to me, since stories of young girls and women's courage and success against the odds set up by males shouldn't have to be anything other than the norm and therefore not deserve a 'special'...

it's good of you to bring it up here, ginger...

love and hugs, maia

3. CyberFD

CyberFD Member

I think this "special" was playing at the theater I work at one night. Every now and then we hold these "gathr" events and this was one of the films. I didn't get the chance to see it though :/

4. Michael Shaw

Michael Shaw New Member

I saw a trailer online and would very much like to see it. If only it were in theaters!

Michael

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The web site says 173 screenings nationwide (US). I don't think I'm allowed to link to to it but it's not hard to find. CNN played it 3 times yesterday, maybe they'll play a rerun soon.

At first it was totally depressing. I came in late and the story was about a girl sold into slavery by her parents. But then her brother helped her get out, and by the end of that vignette, there was an activist group of women protesting in front of a house that held a similar slave girl, insisting the girl be freed and the practice ended.

It's so incredible what some women endure, and even more incredible when they triumph over it.