1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Which type of stories you are most interested to write, factual or fictional

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Mans, May 8, 2013.

Okay, I am curious to know your choosing :)

2. rodney adams

rodney adams Member

If I understand your question correctly...

I like to write fiction that's very factual. Meaning that yes, my fiction may have a glaring aspect of it that's complete fantasy, such as people having wings on their backs, but factual in that given that wings have now been placed on an enormously heavy object, do they work? Would our bones be hollowed out like birds, or would the wings be relatively new on the evolutionary stage? if they're new, our bones would be too dense to provide adequate lift unless the joints which our wings are attached to were very strong and the wingspan was relatively large. That conversation in my head is very fun for me to write about.

Sorry if I interpreted the question incorrectly. I'm relatively new to the forums and am still finding my way.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mans

Thank you for your scientific anatomical explanation. So I finally understood why mankind can't fly like the birds

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I don't really care to write non-fiction - an occasional short piece, but no longer than that. In writing fiction, I do try to use as little poetic license as possible, so I do a great deal of research while writing. I think I have a fear of finding I'd screwed up some basic fact which totally disemboweled the story - how embarrassing!

1 person likes this.
  5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I like reading and writing fiction that is very realistic. Generally, my favorite type of books to read are non-fiction narratives -- that is, non-fiction that reads like fiction. I also enjoy biographies -- either of historical figures (i.e. their life and times) or of "regular" people who have experienced something unusual or vastly different from what I have experienced. Most people who write the type of nonfiction that I like have particularized knowledge or an opportunity to study and to write their books in conjunction with their profession (often journalists or professors). I don't have that sort of profession, or the resources to engage in the research (especially travel and interviews) necessary for writing the types of books I most like to read. Nonfiction has to be exactly right, and often provably so. Fiction gives you a lot more leeway, and can sometimes be a more effective vehicle for getting the essence of the truth of whatever story you'd really like to tell.

1 person likes this.
  6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if what you meant was fiction vs non-fiction, i prefer to read fiction... and used to enjoy writing it, along with non-fiction of all kinds...

but since i gave up writing for money in 1995, i've been writing almost exclusively philosophical essays and what i call 'philosetry' [philosophical poetry]...

i read non-fiction as needed for my work, but not for pleasure...

if you meant fiction based on fact/real life happenings vs fiction born solely of the imagination, i have no preference, would read or write either...

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I read and write an almost equal amount of fiction and non-fiction, although if you count textbooks, worksheets, research papers etc I do more non-fiction. The only thing I haven't written since I was a teenager is poetry, but I still enjoy reading it.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

i love writing fictional, as it gives me an escape from reality,

i however would love to write a non fictional piece on Martial Arts Weaponry and The UK Law

1 person likes this.
  9. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Fictional all the way. Could be because i don't have a hobby that would give me the drive to read factual books on it.

1 person likes this.
  10. AshleyFinn

AshleyFinn New Member

Fictional. The only thing I'm an expert in is telling lies.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mans

Hi Ashley, Writing a fictional story doesn't mean lying. Lying does mean, someone attempts to deceive others with untrue news or information while he tries to show it as a fact. I think an author who writes a fictional novel, does not intend to deceive others but he tries to entertain people with his imaginary story. Sometime people love to travel to a strange and wondrous world, the Imaginary story writers do the same thing. They transfer people from the real world into an imaginary world and a series of odd events for a while. It is not bad at all but is a noticeable work in the writing domain. In total, every group of factual stories or fictional stories has its own location :)

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

here's what's so great about being a writer of fiction:

1 person likes this.
  13. njslater

njslater New Member

Fiction with a thread of fact. It makes it more difficult but I love weaving a story through historical facts