1. The Bishop

The Bishop Member

Writing Dialogue

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Bishop, Feb 11, 2019.

Writing dialogue is easily the most difficult things for me, so I would appreciate any advice you have to give on how to write and make it sound very real and convincing. It's just hard to figure out what the characters say next or how to begin an important bit of dialogue without having it feel forced or boring.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Personally, I've come to like dialogue used more sparingly. I prefer it to make a statement of sorts rather than any sort of drain out conversation. If you only use it when you truly feel your characters have something to say, it might just come out better.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    lumineux, Seven Crowns and The Bishop like this.
  3. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

One of the best tips about writing dialogue that I've ever heard is this:
    Treat dialogue like a party: arrive late and leave early.

I like Ellen Brock's writing advice. Here's a link to her novel bootcamp series:
    ELLEN BROCK
    PROFESSIONAL FREELANCE NOVEL EDITOR
    https://ellenbrockediting.com/tag/dialogue/

Seven Crowns, The Bishop and deadrats like this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I like that line. Good advice!

The Bishop likes this.
  5. BabyNayahi

BabyNayahi Active Member

I don't know if this is helpful but dialogue use to be my biggest struggle at one point. It took me a while to feel comfortable with it but I learned it was all about knowing my characters. I put so much time,investment and thought into them. Then after writing with them and getting to know them little by little, down to the insignificant details the dialogue flows naturally without even trying. I now know how each one would talk,what they would say and how they would say it. Then of course I do back over it many times and read it outloud to make sure it sounds natural.

In terms of WHAT they should say that will come to you as you build the plot. As my plot progressed and I really fleshed out the story they have plenty to talk about depending on what's going on in the plot. The only issue I had not long ago was I realized my conversations were TOO plot related. So I had to go back over some chapters to add what I felt was just enough needed fluff. Non plot related things that people say. I think it turned out well. Keep trying and really get to know your characters! Some people think it doesn't matter but for me it REALLY matters to know what my characters look like in detail. Just another way of me getting to know them thus knowing how the would talk. I know how they would sit,the little gestures they would make,the habbits they have. I didn't sit at my computer and come of with all of that though I day dreamed about it. I think that's what they call it. Basically I put on some inspirational music and just think about the story and characters and let it flow in my mind if that makes any sense.

I recently had a few people read a few different chapters in my story where there is a lot of dialogue and I got really good feedback so it must be working. Because at one point I was really really lost on what the heck they should say :superthink:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    The Bishop likes this.