Tags:
  1. Setup

Setup New Member

Writing for a MMO

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Setup, Apr 30, 2018.

I used to work for an inspiring MMO, operating in the U.K. I was the lead writer and working on the design implements of the game itself. The MMO will be undisclosed to prevent any issues between me and them. Of course, I will releasing material that was scraped and not used.

Table of Contents:
    • Main City (Grasslands): Aostum
    • Small City (Desert): Kalcis
    • Small City (next to sea): Sotpor
    • Village: Harhum
    • Village: Durbrot
    • Village: Aberis
    • Mountain Fort: Agnarot
    Aostum

Aostum is a huge rich castle with a king who is loved by all. This king tries everything in his power to help his citizens with any request that he can fulfil. He helps the poor by giving them medicine, food and shelter. However, there is an unknown disease spreading around this city. All of the city’s doctors are researching this new bacteria that has randomly spread throughout the entire city. To not create a huge panic, the king is forced to lie until he is able to obtain knowledge about this disease. What he doesn’t know is: The disease is being spread throughout the water supply and that some sort of “resistance” is causing all of this mayhem.

Kalcis

Kalcis is a desert city with a lot of wealthy families and feels like a paradise. With its tall stone walls, it is a fortress that is heavily guarded with a small army. On the outside, it looks like the most perfect city. However, inside lies a dark secret of an uprising force of murderers and bandits.

Sotpor

Sotpor is a city highly decorated for his fine riches and exports. In Sotpor, rich merchants use the sea as a gateway to sell their goods. However, inside the city lies a rumor about a crooked prince. A prince that uses his guards to cause mayhem throughout the entire city. There is a revolution inside Sotpor to take the crooked prince out of power, however the revolution weakens day by day.

Harhum

Harhum is a city surrounded by the cold tundra. Out in the middle of nowhere, there is a village of people struggling to survive. To survive, they have to trade with the kingdom of Aostum. There is a rare type of animal that has really silky fur, which the wealthy (usually merchants or royalty) tend to buy.

Durbrot

Durbrot is surrounded by a rainforest. There are several villages (varies from small to large villages) that have taken accustomed to this landscape and have decided to live in the trees. Essentially, Durbrot is ran and operated by some of the bigger villages that made an agreement to take care of any issues that occur in smaller villages.

Aberis

Aberis is a small village that the new player wakes up in. In the village, there is only a few small houses with a well in the center. It is barely populated and it has been struggling for some time now. With little to no money, the people of this village are barely surviving and fear each day what they eat the next day.

Agnarot

Agnarot, a heavily guarded palace of fire, is Agnar’s palace. It lies at the top of a mountain and guarded by Agnar’s troops. The palace itself is used to hold Agnar’s prisoners until they are either executed or tortured. However, one of Agnar’s top generals lives inside the palace to act as the prison’s warden. The player must complete the quest: Escape from Agnarot (found in Laurence’s Design Document), in order to access this palace.

Village: Somewhere in Durbrot

[After creating your character]

[You wake up in the middle of the day]

The player/character wakes up inside of a small tent-like house. Your character was attacked in the middle of the night and a strange woman found you on the ground, badly wounded. She took you back to her village and is treating to your wounds. After waking up, you try to get up. You lack the energy to make it to your feet. You lay back down before falling asleep.

[Falls asleep]

When you wake up, you pull yourself up into a sitting position on the bed. You try to remember what happened to you the night before, however you have a vague memory of what actually happened. You get off of the bed and grab the sword that is beside your bed. When you walk outside, you realized that you are in a dark and mysterious village with wet conditions (it’s raining). Trying to figure out where you are, you remember how some mysterious, hooded man attacked you.

(During this time, you can allow the player to move, walk around, and explore this village. This gives the user time to learn the how the game works and how to play.)

You remember what he looks like and you have an urge that tells you to head to the Kingdom of Aostum. Since Aostum is a big city, the chances of you finding one person are slim to none.

[The player will be able to start a new quest: Finding the Mysterious Attacker]

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Did you have a question? Something in particular you wanted thoughts on?

zoupskim likes this.
  3. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

When I was younger I wrote a, of all things, god damn Naruto online game with a developer friend I had online. I wasn't even a fan of Naruto, but he had the programming expertise and I had the writing/art abilities so he ended up getting to pick what we did. It was hosted on an archaic and awful website called BYOND (a platform that lets you make and host your own online games, but it's awful and somehow still not dead). I had a ton of fun working on the game and we made it easily one of the best games on the website, but it only lasted around a year before internal drama killed it. My friend (I do refer to him as a 'friend' in a very loose sense) was kind of a fucking dumbass (I refer to him as 'a fucking dumbass' in a very definite term). He was a weirdo gun-nut kind of guy who loved army life (he was Canadian) and considered himself some kind of like super fit badass who would constantly attempt to subtle brag about how he was super strong/super fast/etc (he was a god damn out of shape NEET).

Anyways, this guy also had a nasty penchant for trying to get da hot e-sexez from any girls that played our game, including seducing them by giving them special privileges and items and generally just creeping on them whether they were receptive or not. One girl in particular ended up being an autistic sex abuse survivor (I didn't even know she existed until all this drama came out over it) and my game buddy had pretty much been coercing her into sending him da nudez in exchange for things in game, despite the fact this person (the girl) was clearly not a very 'stable' person just by speaking with her over text for just a few minutes.

Anyways so this guy I was working with spun himself a big stupid controversy web. Everything would've been fine and well but he handled it like the weirdo he was and flipped a titty, banning tons of people and eventually more or less killing the game entirely. It was a fun little experience and part of my younger teenage years (I was like 15-16 at the time?). I learned a lot about sprite art, refined a lot of my game development skills/started a bit down that path and in the end I hooked up IRL with a cute chinese girl who lived nearby me that I met out of an occurrence where the guy I was working with basically tried harassing her (talking to this girl was also the beginning of me realizing what a weirdo the guy I was partnered with was, and the start of the dramawaves and DaRk CoNsPiRaCiEz; she shared with me all of the embarrassingly stupid shit he tried telling her/doing with her). All in all, I regret nothing.

I haven't told that story ever, so it was fun reliving the memories. Now adays I'm building a fantasy canon with a much more stable and sane partner, basically under the same partnership I had with the first guy. He's the programmer and I'm writing it (there's a lot more involved with the art and sound side of things, too). Right now we're working on an initial RTS zerg survival game that'll be set in our fantasy canon, and after that we'll start making the first actual installment to the series (a traditional RPG game), with sequels/prequels to follow that and maybe someday an MMO based on all of it. But who knows.

so there's all that adoooooooooooiiii

Setup likes this.
  4. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

Seems like he just came to sort of dump his ideas for an MMO concept. Kind of a sparse topic to reply to, but I just took it as a "share crap you came up with for an online game story here".

Setup likes this.
  5. Setup

Setup New Member

This is exactly what I was intending to do. :)

6. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

All righty.