1. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Writing Four Characters I Can’t Kill

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Zombie Among Us, Jan 27, 2019.

Long post warning.

Hello,

In my WIP, I have a set of what I call my four main characters. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world, so characters die pretty often. However, with the way I currently have things going, the main four cannot die. I’m trying to make it so one of them, Pony, almost dies. Physically, she is the weakest of them, so I think her barely escaping death by disease makes the most sense. Other characters who have died were exposed to the disease that killed them for far longer than my mains. Also, they traveled great distances, about twenty-four miles.

Below, I explain why these characters cannot die and why I am okay with the reader figuring that out. Note: I used the fake names they have at the beginning of the story. It just feels weird spoiling their actual names.

Zombie: POV. The story is meant to be what they wrote in a journal, which means the reader knows that they can only die during a scene that isn’t documented. A ghost can’t write. This eleminates tons of suspense, I know, but I’ve accepted it. It’s a huge part of the story, and I’m almost twenty-thousand words in. I couldn’t change it even if I wanted to.

Beaver: He is a fighter and determined to live. His murderous tendacies would most likely keep him alive, unless the enemy somehow knows what to say that will hit him where it hurts. He has a very good immune system, so the disease going around is not as bad for him as it is for others. I don’t see his death making sense, and I’m content with the reader feeling the same way because his emotional trauma already causes enough drama.

Bunny: He is healthy and as happy as someone can be during the post-apocalypse. Writing this post has made me realize he’s pretty powerful and realativley untouched by misery. I’ve started to write his life going downhill, but it won’t get to the point where he dies. I’m not going to try to trick the reader into thinking he’s going to die, since I’m already doing that with Pony. Too much of that stuff can make a story boring, structureless, and draining to read. Instead, his misery will just make for scenes of drama, not a near-death experience.

Now, for Pony: She’s the one I want to use for suspense, but there should be plenty other events to make up for it if it doesn’t work. Beaver is already mourning another character, who he had a serious crush on. He is depressed because of the passing of his father when he was six. Pony’s death would make Beaver even more miserable, and I don’t think that it would make sense to do that to him. It’s hard to explain. The reader is meant to think she will die, but I’m not too worried about those who will realize I won’t kill her. Like I said, there should be plenty more to make up for it.

Bottom line, while I am removing quite a bit of suspense, I am happy with the reader knowing these four will not die. It simply makes sense that, with their strengths and personalities, they will survive. At least, it makes sense to me.

I believe that main characters don’t have to die for a story to be dramatic. What do you guys think?

2. Tomlan

Tomlan Member

I absolutely agree. Death is not the only way to make a story dramatic, in fact I would say it is the easiest way, but not the most effective.

However, the other things that make it dramatic - Personal issues, mental health, relationships, friendships, world-changing events, ancient mysteries etc. - all have to be there. If you have a story about an invincible group that go around doing cool stuff then that will sell to a young audience, but if you're looking to be more in YA and above, then those other factors need to be there and be strong.

From the sounds of it, it seems like you have thought a great deal about these other factors and that's excellent; keep these at the foreground and make sure the reader knows that these are real people with real issues (but not so much that they get bored of hearing them whine).

The only thing I would advise caution about it letting the reader know that these characters can't be killed. A character who can't (or knowing that they won't) be killed, can be rather boring depending on the style. Having their story written in a journal makes perfect sense as to why they survive (or at least don't die 'on-screen') but once the reader realises that you have no intention of killing any MC they are less likely to continue reading because they know situations will be overcome by plot-armour rather than the character's guile and sacrifice.

It's good that you're not putting in too many scenes where a character almost dies as this reinforces the idea of plot-armour. I would advise that you also don't put in too many unwinnable scenarios which your characters win just because they're the MCs. Have them lose things - relationships, emotional stability, trust. Their lives aren't the only thing they can give up to let others survive.

That's how I'd do it. I hope there is something useful in there.

P.S. Just because you planned a story one way, doesn't mean that's they way it will work out. Don't be afraid of the rewrite and don't be afraid to make changes that scare you - these are most often the things that the reader will appreciate because if it's emotional to you it will be emotional on them.

jimmyjones and Zombie Among Us like this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't think you need to kill your main characters. In fact sometimes I'd prefer a heads up that some are untouchable. Death shouldn't be the only way of maintaining suspense either. Death seems the ultimate fear but they're are others that can be even more challenging for a writer and more interesting for a reader. One of the best horror's I read was the Cipher because it wasn't about lurking death. It was what could they loose - one feared her chance at discovery and being part of some great transformation. The other feared the unknown. You can use all kinds of things to build suspense. They could be terrified of abandonment, humiliation, failing, making the wrong decision, being in charge, being trapped, losing one another, breaking down etc.

Zombie Among Us and LoaDyron like this.
  4. Merley

Merley Member

With the Zombie POV you could have him die "on screen" have him be heavily wounded, and find/have his journal on him. Have him write in shaky handwriting, the page smeared with blood. Have him tell his final words through writing, it if be his life work, a good bye to his family/friends. You can kill him on screen through his journal.

5. Lilith Fairen

Lilith Fairen Member

Literally every character who survives dangerous situations in fiction does so because they were capable of overcoming said dangerous situations or were assisted in avoiding death. There's no other justification needed as to why a character doesn't die.