Writing from the viewpoint of a depressed character...without being a complete downer?!?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Shbooblie, May 17, 2015.

1. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I understand your viewpoint and accept my apologies as this was a result of poor wording on my choice as I have mentioned in a previous post :

"I didn't mean "legitimate" as in those who suffer from a chemical imbalance don't have a legitimate reason, I just meant that he's not an angsty teenager type character who is just depressed for the sake of it or looking for attention so apologies for my poor wording!"

So sorry about that. You made some really good points @ladyphilosophy and I'll do my best to remember those when I'm writing. The story isn't really focused on depression as a main arc it's more about the MC's past and what he's had to come to terms with and trying to move forward with things but he won't let himself do it so I think this will be able to add a bit of interest and make it a bit less repetitive.

2. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Good luck with the depression as comedy material! :) I make the most friends when I'm down in the dumps. Somehow I'm funnier? I think it's because I really don't give a patooey what people thing of me, so I'm more likely to say random mess.

3. ladyphilosophy

ladyphilosophy Member

No worries. I actually should have read through your other posts before replying. It is just that misconceptions about mental illnesses get me riled up and I see stuff like that all the time so sometimes feel I need to say something. Nevertheless you do seem conscientious enough, I'm sure you will do a good job writing your character. Good luck with your story :)

Shbooblie likes this.
  4. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

Thanks @ladyphilosophy , I'm going to do the best I can (Which is very questionable as a first time writer).