1. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

Does anyone here do writing for computer games?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Cromulent, Feb 21, 2019.

I'm curious to hear if anyone here does any writing for computer games at all? If so what tips they had for someone who was interested in getting into this area of writing.

I've always loved lore rich RPGs and would like to start writing/designing my game idea (just for fun). Are there any special requirements in the industry that I should know? How are things done in the game industry?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I know a young adult who majored in this in college. He is about to graduate and already has more than one job offer. I don't know if a degree is needed, but it seems it could help. He will also have to relocate. I imagine there is a team of sorts he will be a part of, but I honestly don't know any specifics. I could ask him some stuff for you if you think it would help. But he did go the degree route. Video games are becoming more and more complex as technology advances. I'm amazed by the video game Detroit. I'm not a gamer, but that one is interesting to even watch someone play. And the storyline is really well done. That same story could have easily been a movie or book. Because it's a game it's even more advanced and probably a lot harder to create, I think.

I would say to team up with one or more people. That's what I would do if I was trying to create a game. Feel free to message me if you have any questions you want me to ask the guy I know who is about to enter the industry. I'll be talking to him in about a month when spring break hits.

3. Cromulent

Cromulent New Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am not doing English or Creative Writing as my degree (I'm doing maths instead) but I certainly want to practise my writing for games as I want to get into game development when I graduate and writing will be a big part of that.