1. Kathy123

Kathy123 New Member

Writing Latinx Characters

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kathy123, Oct 27, 2017.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the writing world, and have an idea I'm extremely excited to start working on.

Enter Leo Amaro, who is Guatemalan, and a step down from main character statues (and I've admittedly grown attached too).

The catch, I'm not Guatemalan. I absolutely love Latin American culture (really all cultures lol), and the last thing I ever want to do is represent a culture improperly. 'Making' Leo Guatemalan didn't come as a choice, but rather came along with the story idea that I have, it's a part of his character and I'm ready and determined to do the research involved.

Racial conflict has really been emphasized lately, and culural appropriation is problem. I never want to contribute to either issue.

ANY tips about writing POC, Latinx, and Guatemalan characters, are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for reading :)

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Write them like the rest of your characters. They are still people. You can throw in
    an odd word or two here and there in dialogue in their native tongue, if you want.
    It helps to know the culture and how it fits with the time period your are writing in.

Couple of links you might find of interest/helpful. :)

https://www.roughguides.com/destinations/central-america-and-the-caribbean/guatemala/culture-etiquette/
    http://www.countryreports.org/country/Guatemala.htm

Good luck and hope it is helpful to your work. :)

3. Kathy123

Kathy123 New Member

Thank you!

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I don't mean to ask this in smartass way, in fact I'm probably showing my ignorance (again), but what are 'Latinx'?

5. Kathy123

Kathy123 New Member

It's a gender neutral term for Latin Americans.

When referring to a male, group of males, or a group of males and females you call them Latino/s. When referring to a female or a group of females you call them Latina.

Don't feel bad for asking, most people (including me) are happy to educate and discuss :)

OurJud and Simpson17866 like this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yeah that - my secondary MMC in TDS is Hispanic (hispanic/latino depends which coast you are on I think - East coast say the former, west coast the latter), I haven't specified his exact heritage, its unimportant as hes an american citizen anyway.

you also hear Chicano /Chicana but that's mexicans only.... although Cha cha which derives from it is used as a term of abuse for all latins