1. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

TheNewMotivatorontheBlock New Member

Novel Writing my first book any tips and advice would be greately appreciated

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by TheNewMotivatorontheBlock, Jun 24, 2017.

Does anyone have any tips and advice? I am writing my first book which at some point will be published about Autism and a little about me and others I heard on the spectrum and how we have so much potential and to never give up. I really want parents and individuals on the spectrum to know we can do anything we set our minds to with the right teaching tools and we just have to discover the tools. I have read some self help books and on a self help journey of my own I have written my acknowledgements and now on my first chapter

jannert likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Find a critique group that works for you and get feedback as you go. Don't write the whole thing without any feedback.

Take what you learn from the feedback and do more research: online blogs and how to write books are great resources. They often differ in style so read more than one source, again you'll find some work for you and others are less helpful.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I would write as honestly as you can. Don't worry so much about the form of the story at this stage. That's something you will perfect later on. Just be as honest and straightforward as you can be. What do you REALLY want to say to parents and individuals who might try to hold an autistic person back? This will be a most useful and helpful book, but only if you are honest.

I am just guessing here, from what you said in your post, but are you writing non-fiction? If so, you can speak to your readers directly, as if you have them face to face. Maybe they can 'ask' you questions and you can answer them. Or you can tell them why you can't do certain things they find easy to do, and why you CAN do things they can only dream of doing. I am the sort who believes that autistic people often have amazing abilities, and I totally support the notion that they can solve problems and deal with situations that the rest of us struggle with. I think this could be a book that will enlighten a lot of us.

Or are you creating a fictional character? If you're doing that, then you'll maybe try to show us what this character experiences, so that we can come to understand how a person with autism thinks and reacts about what he or she encounters. Show us a fictional autistic person (or people) dealing with various kinds of experiences, and let us (your readers) draw our own conclusions. "Oh, autism isn't the handicap I used to think it was. It's a doorway into an entirely different way of looking at the world. Autistic people are extremely talented."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  4. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

I am writing a self help book and I am starting off with traits of Autism I am trying to write on my own personal experience I aim to change the world in being an Author a Motivational Speaker among so much more What do you mean by don't focus about the form of the story? I am taking from what I have learned from my own books I read and inputting it into my own book but I do know it's more then just that into writing a book and I have no current education or experience in writing books

jannert likes this.
  5. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

6. jannert

I just meant to get your book written as honestly as you can, but don't worry about making mistakes until it's done. You can correct any mistakes later on, and change the form of your story if it's not working as well as you'd hoped. But you really won't know if it works until you're done. The first draft is for getting what you want to say 'out there,' so don't let anything hold you back.

Once you've finished, then maybe let a few people read it, and listen to what they say back to you. Ask yourself if you think they 'got' what you were trying to say. That's when you can start making changes and polishing up the form, if necessary.

By the way, I was in the process of editing my first post when you wrote your response, so we kind of clashed in the ether! What I have now written is different from what you quoted! :)

7. jannert

@TheNewMotivatorontheBlock - one question I meant to ask earlier. Who do you envision will be reading your book? Other people on the autistic spectrum? Or just people who are interested in the issue? Who do you plan to 'address' in the book? If you were speaking to these people, how would you have advertised your 'talk?' (What would be written on the poster for your talk, in other words? What would the specific subject matter be?)

8. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

Yeah I also think we have amazing capabilities! I believe we can do anything we set our minds to no matter how hard it is here is a perfect example though I don't know if he has Autism Michael Jordan one of the most famous basketball players had to talent in basketball but was determined to make it and he went from being horrible at basketball to being one of the best! If we only believe in ourselves no matter how bad or how good we are at something we can turn out to be the best of that type of business

jannert likes this.
  9. jannert

From the little reading I've done on the subject, I've learned that an autistic person never really gives up on something they want to do. They will persist until it comes right. That is an AMAZING characteristic, and can be so useful to the world. I was reading not long ago that many autistic people are excellent at doing intricate research, because they pick up connections that other folks who are less focused may miss. They are more likely to see what's really there, and less likely to be influenced by what they want the result to be.

10. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

I envision people who either just found out about themselves or a family member being diagnosed with Autism and trying to figure out what Autism is and to never hold us back I want people to realize how much ability we have and we are not disabled but differentlyabled since we still can get there but with the right teachings I want part of it to be educational and part of it motivational. Currently my title is Believe in yourself and the power you possess You have more power then you can even imagine Autism is a gift By Jacob Eliot

jannert likes this.
  11. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

Yes I was in a internship at Choc Children's Hospital called Project Search and one of my former interns who also has Autism is so detail oriented and very intelligent in math it's crazy! Now I don't think I currently have that gift but that can change in the future and I have so many other talents that the world needs today they say Albert Einstein Thomas Edison and a few other famous people possibly had Autism and if they were diagnosed today and might be diagnosed with it

jannert likes this.
  12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Far too long a title - I'd be inclined to focus on either the first three, or last four words..... also believing in yourself and power you possess is a total cliche in the self help book world

Also if your writing here is typical, you need to look at punctuation and sentence construction so that it doesn't read in one long breathless rush

13. jannert

It will be great when the attitude towards Autism gets focused on what people CAN do, rather than on what they struggle with. They CAN do many things that the rest of us can't really imagine doing. For example, excellence in math. For somebody like me who is good with words but absolutely DREADFUL at math, I find this ability to be astonishing. And mathematically-talented people can accomplish so much.

Are there other particular skills you think Autistic people excel at?

14. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

I could not agree more I can actually learn subjects pretty quickly with math I remember going through problems like no ones business but i do get rusty like anyone else if I don't work on that subject for a while I forget or the thinking process slows down

jannert likes this.
  15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have moved this to General Writing. Support & Feedback is meant for website-related issues.

16. TheNewMotivatorontheBlock

Thank you so much for letting me know I was not aware of that

jannert likes this.