Writing on tablets...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by VynniL, Jul 22, 2016.

1. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

hehe...very cute. I didn't know they were all part of the same manifestation. But thanks, you just fast tracked me to some material I've been meaning to research on. Much appreciated. :agreed:

2. Eric77

Eric77 New Member

you have to have access to wifi to use google docs

By default this is true. There is an offline mode in google doc settings.

VynniL likes this.
  3. VynniL

Welcome the forum @Eric77. I'm aware there is an offline mode. I haven't actually gotten around to figuring it all out. I flick between two gmail accounts and it seems you can only allow one as a primary for offline. Anyway, thanks for commenting. Hope you have fun at WF!

4. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

5. VynniL

@Solar hmm... Are you trying to get me to meditate? Transcend to another plane or something? Remind me about drawing on cave walls...?

I'm the unrelaxing sort, I'm only meditative when I'm jogging and then I need a steady beat or the kinda stuff that will kill brain cells. :ohno:

6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

How many words can you fit on a tablet? I know people can write a name on a grain of rice, but doesn't seem worth it...

I'll show myself out.

7. VynniL

That's an odd question @Selbbin. I think you will find you can fit a lot of words on a tablet. I'm swinging more for the Applie Ipad Pro 9.7 inch. As much as I love using my iPhone as my eReader (I bought the larger model for this reason), I'm thinking the iPad would probably be better for my poor eyes. It has technology that will adjust to the light and I like the incorporated speakers. As someone who has to lug around her work laptop all the time, I can say it is not conducive to mobile writing.

It's a lifestyle choice thing.

There's also a stylus that will mimic real writing so your hands can press on the tablet and only the pen point will be recognized. I'm one of those people who no longer can use paper effectively. I just lose them...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  8. Selbbin

This is why I'm no longer a comedian.

Tablet, as in:

[​IMG]

VynniL likes this.
  9. VynniL

@Selbbin this is a serious thread! I take all comments literally, except maybe @Solar who wants to be a God god...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  10. Selbbin

So you should. I told you I'd show myself out. :( But I couldn't help myself.

VynniL likes this.
  11. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

It's god with a small 'g', dear.

VynniL likes this.
  12. VynniL

Well, strike me down now, I'm agnostic, it's just three letters to me. :p

Here... I fixed it.

@Solar wants to be a god...

I hope that is small enough so you could not be accused of being overly ambitious or aiming for the wrong religion.

13. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

cydney and VynniL like this.
  14. VynniL

"Death is an undulation of consciousness. How would you know if you're alive if you weren't once dead?"

hehe... I enjoyed all that. But no more about god, unless you've decided you're the god of technology. This is a thread about the mighty tablet!

15. VynniL

NEWS FLASH: And the final decision is Apple iPad 9.7-inch display. :cheerleader:

If anyone struggles to pick between the two sizes I would highly recommend the smaller 9.7. It feels more than big enough. In fact, once I left the store with it, I couldn't imagine lugging about the larger. My husband was smiling at me this morning as I was lying in bed answering an email on my new toy. He said, "You're loving it aren't you?"

YES!! The 9.7 feels PERFECT.

I bought top bought optimal configuration because I don't like to skimp on these things if I'm going to commit to a device. Also included apple care for two years, so if I break it, I have two chances where I can pay $65 and they will give me a new one. It's worth it when you pay over $2K for the thing to begin with, and I am clumsy! Anyway, I was setup for using google docs and writing very quickly. I take it everywhere now.

(I got the stylus too... It is excellent for drawing and apparently I can get a transcribing to keyboard from stylus app. Will check that out later but at the moment, I am happy with keyboard both physical and onscreen.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
    matwoolf likes this.
  16. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

I'm an Apple person anyway, but I do 100% of my writing on my iPad. I have a case that folds multiple ways, and has a built-in keyboard that links via Bluetooth, so I don't have to type on the touch screen. Also, I use the Pages app. ($10 vs hundreds for a PC word processor.) It is a tiny bit different than Word, but it will export and email in multiple formats (Word, Pages, PDF...) so I can send it to whoever, however. Also, I print right to my Air printer via WiFi, or email it do myself if I want to print elsewhere. Super compact and mobile, so I can carry it anywhere. There are times I like editing on a larger screen, just like I sometimes edit on hard copy, but since I don't really have the monetary means for more than one device, I'd much rather have the mobility and convenience of my iPad. (When I was REALLY poor, I actually began writing my WIP with a $20 Bluetooth keyboard and a Pages app on my iPhone! Now THAT was desperation...)

VynniL likes this.
  17. VynniL

@matwoolf - now where is that 9.7 inch post of yours I spied last night and has disappeared! hehe And that was an awful poem of mine. I will get rid of all the images in time. ;)

@BirdsDontCry - Hello fellow Apple device person! I admit, I go everywhere with my iPad now...EVERYWHERE. It's attached to me. I don't even care about my iPhone anymore. I only bring it because I make calls. I wish they just added that phone feature to the tablet. I will gladly used my tablet like a handset and look like an idiot. I'm joking of course, but I can't see an issue with the iPad taking calls with earphones so not sure what the deal is. But when I go to work now I have a laptop, iPhone and my iPad. My iPad gets a lot of usage.

18. VynniL

I just wanted to do a quick update.

MY IPAD IS AMAZING! It goes everywhere with me now... And the key board on screen and the funky cover design one is great. It's really just perfect to me as a mobile writing/inspiration device. I don't mind paying extra for the mobile data it's so convenient. And I do ALL my writing on google docs now because of it.

I think my output has tripled and my sleep has decreased by the same amount!