1. tsmyly

tsmyly New Member

Writing Polyamorous Love Triangle Need Help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by tsmyly, Jan 24, 2021.

I want to write a polyamorous love triangle where a girl is basically at the opposite end of someone else's love triangle. Basically, I want to write about a competition where a girl is in a magic competiton to compete for the hand-in-marriage for a magician (male), but she competes against this other boy who also wants to marry the magician, and so she falls in love with both of them, and the two of the guys are in love with one another.

Has anyone read a book like this? If you have please let me know! The closest I have come to reading this is the Infernal Devices but Will and Jem aren't in love they're like brothers.

I want to know if this is a unique concept or if it's been done before and I want honest opinions on if this seems like something a YA audience would want to read, or if it's a good idea

Of course, I would do research before trying this. Please be honest!

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Sounds like an interesting topic. Have you looked at 'The Selection' by Kiera Cass (though it's only girls for one boy)? I'd read such a book, enjoyed the heck out of the selection.

tsmyly likes this.
  3. alw86

alw86 Active Member

I'm a little confused by what you mean by her being 'at the opposite end of someone else's love triangle'? That would seem to imply that she joins a triangle which already exists (so now it's no longer a triangle)?

From my reading, her presence is what creates the triangle: The two boys have a straightforward relationship/attraction to each other, while she is attracted to both of them but neither of them are attracted to her. Is that right?

LucatheRat, Lifeline and tsmyly like this.
  4. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

I'm confused, too.

The winner of the competition marries the magician?

Can't the winner not just win a car or a blender?

5. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

I wouldn't call it "polyamorous love". If all of the characters would be involved in actual relationship - yes, but it seems that the female character's not invited. That looks more like a third wheel kind of story. I can't remember any serious literature to advise you, but I'm sure you can find manga like this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    alw86 likes this.
  6. alw86

alw86 Active Member

^ Yeah I was wondering about the polyamorous thing, unless the girl gets invited into the boys' relationship at some point during the story, this is not that.

Honestly I do wonder how one could write that without the female character coming across as having some kind of 'issues'. Unrequited love for one person in your orbit is one thing, but with two you'd have to start wondering whether it's really them she wants, or just something they represent but that she doesn't have the soft skills to obtain for herself (stability maybe? Or connection?). Honestly that could be an interesting story in itself, if that's what you were looking to tell.

Given the genders involved you'll probably also want to be aware of the trope in which straight women fetishize gay men, especially teenager boys. Not saying that's what the character is doing at all, just something to be aware of when writing a story like this.

7. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

It doesn't sound like poly.

It's more like a love triangle.

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Not like that no. I did read one where it was F/M/M relationship,
    and it was more grounded in reality, and how hard it was for them
    to actually get it to all work in the long term. (Also not knowing
    who the father was, may have helped solidify their familial ties
    as a Thrupple (or maybe there was a magic mcguffin where all
    parties are the parents IDK. )
    I think it should be taken a bit more seriously than 'You win a
    new partner', and focus more on how the three work in their
    relationship. If you look at your first paragraph:

It is loaded with the kinda drama and obstacles for a poly relationship to
    work through so that they can function (or not, not going to assume it's
    one way or the other). Think of it as two interpersonal relationships
    that are blending together, into a slightly bigger one, and the challenges
    all involved are going to face to try and make it all work in the long run.
    What activities will they do together?
    Is it awkward to share a bed?
    Whose most likely to get ignored?
    Whose the glue trying to hold it all together?
    How do their families think/feel about it?

There are many things you have to consider, since it is a little more
    complicated than a 2 person relationship, so the dynamic is a little
    harder to keep in balance (unless everybody is unrealistically
    agreeable for some strange reason). Communication, compromise,
    and actions will determine it they will sink or float. :)
    (Poly is all inclusive, and an LT means someone gets left out, FYI)
    Can't have it both ways. :p
    Good luck, and Happy Writing. :superidea:

9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Chiming in to agree that this is not Poly unless all three corners of the triangle are consensually in a relationship together.

It can't really be polyamorus and a love triangle, it's either one or the other. If they all get in a relationship together, it ceases to be a love triangle and then becomes a poly/triad/throuple.

marshipan and Cave Troll like this.
  10. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Menage (most commonly two males and one female in a polyamorus relationship) is definitely a thing but I'm not sure if that is what you're describing. If they don't all end up in a relationship together it is not poly.

I haven't read the whole series but Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova might be similar to what you're describing. YA, urban fantasy, love triangle, lgbt. Though the female main character is the center of the triangle and her love interests are a male and a female.

11. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Todd McCaffrey, who is Anne McCaffrey's son and who took over writing books in the Dragonriders of Pern series, did that in one of the first two books he did after his mother's death. I'm sorry I can't give you a title, but the reality is that I don't care for Todd's writing or his plots and I feel that he hasn't been true to the world his mother created (as I have envisioned it in my mind, from her writing), so I won't buy his books. I know the "polyamorous love triangle" was a central theme in one of the first two books he wrote post-Anne, but it's not on my book shelf with all of Anne's books.

FYI -- Todd did two or three Pern books before Anne died, and those may have been credited as Todd McCaffrey with Anne McCaffrey. I'm not counting those. The book I have in mind is one of the first two he realesed after Anne died.