1. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

Novel Any thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Suffering-is-Beauty, Mar 18, 2013.

So I'm working on yet another novel, and am running into a bit of a snag. Turns out I don't really know how to write about a runaway, as I have never done such a thing. Suffering is the point of my novel for the depths of the darkness in which we can continue to survive measure the beauty of the ending. Suffering and despair are not the things I need help with, but rather what a runaway would do. I've read stories and testimonials, but none seem to fit my character, and most of what I read is about people who made it through their darkness. Their always told in a the same tone of inspiration and bright outlooks. I don't want inspiration. I want damnation, depravity, and sheer callousness. So if any one can give me a little advice on a runaway's life that doesn't make it, much appreciated.

2. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Can you talk to those that run/help in shelters, hostels, homes, or volunteer and charitable groups that help runaways and/or their families? You may get a wealth of information straight from the horse's mouth.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If the runaway didn't make it, they wouldn't be writing about it - what you're looking for might be quite hard to find. What about looking into fiction for examples of how authors have tackled this issue? It's probably more likely you'll find the condemnation you're looking for in fiction.

4. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

Sadly, for my purposes, their are no homeless shelters in my town and work, school, kid make it difficult to travel to other towns to possibly visit shelters. Talking on the phone or emails lack the conviction and personal touch and just seem a rude way to go about inquiring about such things, but perhaps the salvation army might work (I think there's one in my town). As far as fiction or stories from other authors, if any one knows a good book I could read to shed some light on the subject, I'd appreciate it.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Perhaps "runaway" is too broad a category -- different runaways would have different experiences and outlooks, depending on the reason for why they ran away. Was the character in an abusive household? Is he suffering from some sort of mental illness? Was she in some sort of foster care setting, but wanted to rebel against that because she was used to fending for herself after a parent somehow became incapacitated or died? Is he a drug addict? Depending on the underlying reason for why your character may have run away, you might be able to find more information on what it's like to be in that particular situation, even if the person affected is not categorized as a "runaway."

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

search among the non-fiction books on amazon for books about runaways... and google for websites where this subject is the theme...

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor