Writing Queer Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CEMO, Dec 4, 2016.

?

Have you ever written about a protagonist who wasn't cis-gender and/or heterosexual?

1. Yes, I do all of the time.

2. Some of the time.

3. Once or twice.

4. Never, but I'd like to

5. Never, and I don't feel comfortable doing it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Oh dear, this is starting to hit weirdly close to home. My closest friend in Japan , whom I've known for the last ten years or so, is gay. His husband is Japanese, as is my wife. Was back home a few years ago talking to my best friend, whom I've know since we were five, about what Gil (the gay friend and I) talk about.

We sit and bitch about our spouses. Just like two stereotypical straight men (or straight women, for that matter). It's not my place to give details, but apparently not putting things away properly, or interfering in the kitchen, or staying awake fiddling with a tablet in bed etc etc cross sexual orientation boundaries.

Best friend's reaction? "No shit?"

But anyway, on to the bears. Gil is my supervisor at work (echoes of @Wreybies being a mod here), and it's Japan, so basically, if he says it, it's not an inappropriate comment.

And he's convinced that everyone can fit somewhere on the Bear spectrum.

So we have a really nasty habit of asking the new guys (we only have one female employee), out of the blue, frequently at lunch in the cafeteria, "So, new guy, what kind of bear do you think you are?"

If they survive that round with their sanity intact, we proceed on to a discussion of various perversions niche sexual practices which I won't list here.

Wreybies and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. texshelters

texshelters Active Member

If the writing is authentic, then go for it. Why choose gay characters if it's not essential to the plot or theme? What is the reason for our characters and their traits. Having a reason is important to writing.

I'm not African, but I have an African character. I'm not from Mexico, nor Israel, nor a woman, but my main character is a Mexican/Jewish female. Should I throw her out and make her a white dude from Michigan?

Why be a writer if you can't write about all types of characters. And yes, avoid cliches, stereotype and anything bigoted and I don't see a problem.

Peace, Tex

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When bundled up for winter weather, I not infrequently refer to myself as Paddington Bear, because I feel as wide as I am tall. I assume that this doesn't fit into this conversation...

BayView and Iain Aschendale like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I believe the only kind of bear you* qualify (conditionally) as is an Ursala, which is a lesbian Bear. AFAIK that's the only place on the Bear spectrum for women, but we could petition the Grand High Gay Council** to add a Paddington category, if you'd like :)

*Nope, don't know a damn thing about your sexuality. Or your build. Just found out you were female last week, IIRC
    **I assume there is one

Cave Troll and ChickenFreak like this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I don't think that is quite the same as Mistress Lorelei talks about in her book.
    Pretty sure she is using it in regards to a manly crossdresser that likes to be
    dominated by a a strong woman. Also it was written in 2000, which is a tad
    bit before something like True Blood came out (approx. 8 Years before).

On an aside. I found the book The Mistress Manual (The Good Girls Guide
    To Female Dominance) to be a bit of a fun read. It has a bit of humor to it
    even though a bit topical to content. Bought it for the ex-wife, but I am the
    one who wound up with it and decided to read it. Not in my opinion the go
    to per se, when it comes to getting into the Lifestyle. But it was a fun 170 pages
    into a new perspective on how one could go about it. :p
    ( I will not be speaking of my own exp. on the matters of the Lifestyle.) :p

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Embearassed.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

To the OP: One of my oldest friends is gay, but there isn't much that would "give it away". He's just a guy with feminine and masculine interests (which are highly subjective concepts anyway). Maybe one thing that separates him from the straight guys I know apart from who he wants to date is that most of his friends are very good-looking women :-D. When we were in high school, I didn't even know for the longest time that he was gay as he wasn't particularly interested in dating, LGBTQ issues, or whatever might "give it away". Another friend I've known since I was 14 is lesbian, and the only stereotypical thing I think of her is that she's super duper feminist but I'm not sure how much that has to do with her sexuality since basically as long as you live your life as a woman, women's issues will be your issues regardless your sexual orientation.

I guess my point is that things like your character's upbringing, personal likes and dislikes, core personality, the company he keeps, and so on will more likely define the kind of character he is rather than who he wants to sleep with. Not saying one's sexual identity wouldn't have an impact on their lifestyle, choices, and even personality, sometimes "gay" is the first thing they might answer if someone asks "what word best defines you?" while to another homosexual it could be "soldier" or "brooding" or "weeaboo".

I think it's good to be aware of stereotypes, but avoiding them at all costs isn't necessarily the best or only way to go about it. After all, they are stereotypes for a reason, and to some people they may be very important when it comes to their identity.

Aaand I realize now this probably wasn't an all-that-helpful answer... :bigoops: But I wish you luck!

Simpson17866 and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You want to tell the world you're bare arsed... interesting :D

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I frequently refer to myself as "a big grumpy bear"

This worries me now :D

10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I googled "big grumpy gay bear" and this is the first image I found.

Do you identify?

[​IMG]

11. big soft moose

Not in the slightest

I was thinking more

[​IMG]

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

<tangent="random curiosity">

Are there any actual bears naturally occurring in the UK? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Are they part of your native fauna?

</tangent>

13. big soft moose

Nope we used to have eurasian brown bears but they were hunted to extinction circa 1000 AD

We have no mamallian top predators at all bears, wolves, lynx etc are all extinct ... our largest terrestial mammal predator is probably the badger or possibly the wild boar depending on how you class predator (and the largest terrestrial herbivore the red deer)

14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Meanwhile, in Canada - I got a bulletin about a week ago about a mountain lion in my neighbourhood who's been preying on small dogs. My neighbour found some tracks in her back yard that she thought might be the cougar, but we poked around until we found the prints from the back feet - it was only a black bear, not a cougar.

And I mean "black bear" in the traditional, zoological sense...

matwoolf and Wreybies like this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Don't be too sure there isn't a crossover:

16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Are big soft moose smaller than the red deer? o_O

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Since you mentioned it: Cougar

18. big soft moose

Well my big soft moose is about 60cm tall so yes (and no that isn't a metaphor for anything else). His name is Chris - he was a chris moose present - and he sit on my bedside table, I put my glasses on him during the night so I can find them easily

real moose/elk (that is what the Canadians call moose and the scandi's call elk) are another species to go extinct in the British Isles

19. BayView

I deliberately went with "mountain lion" to avoid that, but... you're too clever for me!

ETA: Oh. I slipped up, obviously. No good using "mountain lion" the first time and then switching back to "cougar". Grrrr...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  20. big soft moose

heres a thought leading on from cougars. In the same way that the straight community have MILFs Mothers I'd Like to... ahem.. Fornicate with, does the Bear scene/ Wider homosexual community have FILFs and if so what do you call them ?

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The acronym you want is DILF. Daddy I'd Like to F.....

[​IMG]

22. BayView

Oooh, Daddy!

Iain Aschendale and Wreybies like this.
  23. Lonely Shadow

Lonely Shadow Member

I don't know if this will help, but my work "Second Chance" involved fantasy and two gay characters falling in love. It tended to coincide with Alpha-Beta-Omega Dynamics, and I found myself writing it pretty decently. I wrote it as if it was a heterosexual couple.

24. Lonely Shadow

Lonely Shadow Member

I'm predominately writing gay guys as my MCs. I love it because it's so unique and it gets under the skin of people at school.