1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

More superhero stuff :P

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Marcelo, Jan 7, 2009.

Well, let's that after the superhero mania waned here in the Writing Forums, my interest in writing one waned as well. However, after (are comic books read or watched, what's the correct verb?) reading Watchmen and watching the first two seasons of Heroes, let's say I want to write one again. I just need a bit of help. First of all, in my story the "special" people (haven't figured out a name yet) get their power from a mutagen, but I don't have the slightest idea of how to name one. And, this mutagen doesn't affects everyone, so I'm working on a certain pattern. I'll do it myself, but lately I've been occupied since my vacations are over, any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated! :D

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I hate thinking of names for things as they always sound stupid I think. What I usually do is use a translator site right, and say you wanted a names for superheros, translate it into Latin or Norwegic or something random like that. See what comes up. You could have stuff like strong people, the mighty, invincible, that sort of thing?

I know it sounds stupid, but that's what I do anyways.

3. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

SeventhSanctum.com is perfect for this. Although I keep going back there, but never get a result. But it sparks your imagination for sure.

4. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Are you talking about a name for your super hero group or a name to name people with super powers?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The mutagen could have a code designation, if it were some experimental compound used on test subjects (Stephen King's Firestarter simply used a batch number, or you could take a cue from names like Agent Orange, I'd avoid names with X in them, though - they sound a bit trite to me).

As for a generic term for people affected by teh mutagen, don't have everyone refer to them the same way, at least as first. If they are the result of deliberate experimentation, the researches might refer to them as Group Alpha, or Alphas for short, but the general population will come up with their own names for them as they become aware that such people are out there (muties, supers, specials, freaks). Eventually, some terms will become more prevalent than others, but it won't happen all at once, and all the terms probably won't be compliments.

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Thank you, everyone! :)

7. othman

othman New Member

Well I'm currently reviewing a novel which has people who have powers and this is fine as the general idea of people having powers is fine but then it went to, like heroes, someone kills the people with powers and gains their powers...I was quite irritated as it was a great story but it has just damned the book for me (also it happened about 5/6th into the book...not good) as if it's not original anymore when the rest of the story is very original.

8. Benska

Benska New Member

Well the Heroes people don't even have a specific name(as far as I can remember :s) they just say they have abilities/powers. So you may even be able to get away without a name.

It really depends on your story; like whether they will be enigmatic, like on Heroes, or publically known, like spider-man, or the mutants on X-men or something. The things cog said would work in either situation.