1. S S

S S Active Member

Novel Is there anything better than dramatically announcing that you have finished writing a novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by S S, Oct 4, 2014.

One of the reasons I'm not telling people that I have started to write a novel is so that I can show off once I'm finished.

People who have completed a novel, what are some of the reactions you received when you revealed what you'd been doing alone in your room the past month? ;)

Were you proud announcing your work, or did you continue to keep it under wraps?

Example Reaction:

Charlie: I wrote a musical. It's pretty damn good, OK? I wanna put it on.
    Mac: Right, what's your angle?
    Charlie: I don't have one.
    Dee: Yeah, whose—whose face are we shoving this musical in?
    Charlie: You don't shove a musical in someone's face. What are you talking about?
    Mac: Right, but who versus? Who are we doing it versus?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yes, announcing your novel is taking off, people are reading it and raving. :)

3. S S

S S Active Member

True, but what are the chances of that? LOL

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The Magic Eight Ball says: "Chances are Good." Who am I to argue with that?

Okon likes this.
  5. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

sexing a groupie at your book signing seems like it would be better. note to self: get published...oh and bring a six pack just in case it is slim pickings

6. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

When you work as an animator, and you spend two or three hours working on a pencil test, which only figures out to 15 seconds or so of animation. Putting those tests into a lunchbox and seeing them on the screen is an experience I've yet to match. Your heart and your mind stop, and you stare in disbelief, thinking, "I did that. My hands made it happen. No one could see what I was working on but me, and now no one can deny my vision."

Maybe seeing my child for the first time will top it, but I finished my manuscript and it didn't even come close.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    S S likes this.
  7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Dramatically announcing that you've won the Nobel Prize in Literature?

8. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I'd hold off until it's officially published. Its just embarassing if it nevers gets into print :(

I mean, I don't even mention the short stories I finish and send off because it isn't real just yet.

9. S S

S S Active Member

People who are posting unlikely scenarios that are clearly better, I was just using the expression, 'Is there anything better…' I am aware that there are better things.

Also, I don't really expect to be published, so I think I'll just announce when I'm finished and post it online, LOL

10. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sleeping with a Supermodel. How do I know? Maybe I do, and maybe I don't, but I guarantee it's gotta be good.

11. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

and being published is NOT unlikely???

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Not if you self-publish.

13. Jack Asher

Is there a spot for editing in there?

Okon likes this.
  14. S S

S S Active Member

I often use 'Also' to introduce new thoughts, not just to add to completed posts.

15. Jack Asher

Okay, you're doing that thing, where you think you're explaining but you're actually not.

16. S S

S S Active Member

I could say the same about your last two posts. They make little sense even when I read them multiple times :p Or is this an ironic joke?

17. Jack Asher

"Also, I don't really expect to be published, so I think I'll just announce when I'm finished and post it online, LOL," said S S.

"Is there a spot for editing in there?" Jack asked, concerned that this step did not seem to be a priority.

"I often use 'Also' to introduce new thoughts, not just to add to completed posts," S S replied with a non sequitur.

"Okay, you're doing that thing, where you think you're explaining but you're actually not," Jack uncertain of what S S was attempting to convey, tried to keep the conversation on the rails.

"I could say the same about your last two posts. They make little sense even when I read them multiple times :p Or is this an ironic joke?"

Jack set out to find a way to illustrate the conversation, surely he couldn't be the only one who understood the flow of dialogue on a forum.

Fin

18. S S

S S Active Member

Reads like an extract from Finnegans Wake.

19. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

Regarding the OP:

I understand the question, and I think the reaction might well be disappointing. Specifically, I think that your friends/colleagues might not really be able to think of many good questions, so there's a good chance they'd just change the subject infuriatingly fast.

Depends hugely on your friends/colleagues, of course.

S S likes this.
  20. S S

S S Active Member

True, I foresee some people being like 'so what?' as those closest to me know I like to write fiction. And the problem of the questions is a big one. I think many people will try desperately to show interest in the work when in reality, they don't care. The one or two people I've shown my work to, read the first chapter and then from their critiques I recognise that they simply skimmed through the rest, which is a little frustrating, as it's a sci-fi text and some parts are incomprehensible without reading the preceding content.

21. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

I finished my first novel and was so pleased with myself I could hardly contain my glee. I made a copy for my wife and her sister-in-law (the latter of whom is very 'artistic' and I thought would appreciate my talent) on CD-rom. I awaited their reviews of my work with excitement and anticipation.

A year later neither has read more than a few chapters. :meh: Guess who my first ebook is not being dedicated to.

On the other hand, several friends and my mother-in-law all are eager to read my book(s) and keep asking me when it will be available. Some of the content of the books are, well, potentially embarrassing (do I really want my M-I-L reading graphic sex and profanity?). I'm publishing under a pseudonym and now wish the great masses would read it instead of anyone I know. The whole thing leaves me rather conflicted.

22. S S

S S Active Member

Your post amused me! :) I'd recommend printing a few more copies (you can get 25, 230 page copies for under 200 dollars with some companies) and give them to some more of your artsy friends! Maybe, just label the chapter with sex / graphic content / profanity on the copies you give to family members!

I've personally decided to make 25 copies for people I know. I know most won't read it, but the bigger the net, the more fish you catch!

23. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

Screw that...they all have e-readers. They can pay 1.99 or whatever I decide to charge if they want to read it, just like everyone else. :p

S S likes this.
  24. S S

S S Active Member

Have you posted extracts in any of the workshops? s long as you post (sex, violance, profanity) in the title it should be fine! If not, I'll swap you some of my stuff for yours; I'd personally love to read your writing / attempt to offer critique.

25. S S

S S Active Member

Have you posted extracts in any of the workshops? As long as you post (sex, violance, profanity) in the title it should be fine! If not, I'll swap you some of my stuff for yours; I'd personally love to read your writing / attempt to offer critique.

26. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

No, everything has remained in my own digital house. I participated in writing groups before the internet age and had many short stories critiqued, but never a novel (I only undertook such daunting things a year ago). For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, I want to publish the first book straight from my hands without outside help. Likely foolish, but that's just how my gut is telling me to do it. I'm sure it has some problems, but overall I think it capable of competing with much of the self-published e-books I've read.