Writing to music.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by elfdragonlord, Dec 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

hahahaha and what if they don't have one? (an ipod that is)

and I find Beethoven to be very inspirational music that doesnt seem to affect my writing too much. I think it is easier for me to listen to stuff that has no lyrics as I hate it when a songs lyrics enter my poetry.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Their bookshelf. =D

3. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

I have trouble writing without music. Hell, I have trouble doing anything without music.

When I write, I have a "Writing" playlist that I made on my iTunes, and it's a combination of all the music that influences me to write.

What used to happen to be was I'd listen to a certain band for too long while I was writing, and then depending on the style of music, that's how the scene would turn out regardless of what I intentionally wanted it to be like. So now I listen to a bunch of different music to stop that from happening again.

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I try not to write to music that I know the words to as it puts me off from my writing. And also, like you pointed out, it changes the mood of your writing. the reason I think is that if you listen to a sad song you become sadder and if you are sad it reflects in your writing. So if you want to write a happier peice, put on some Bob Marley. :D

5. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    Bob Marley, lol!

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. Some days music is just--distracting. You know that expression, "I can't hear my thoughts." Well, sometimes I literally feel that way when I listen to music and write at the same time.

I have a bunch of different playlists for different scenes. I have a sad playlist, a battle scene playlist, a character death scene playlist, yeah.

So, sometimes music helps, and sometimes it doesn't. It definitely won't help me when I write poerty or lyrics. Like you said, I'll probably start copying all the lines. :p

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Then I check their stacks of 78s/45s/33-1/3s... ;)

I find music distracting, but work better with the TV on. Dead silence is most distracting of all.

7. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I know what you mean. I like to read with the TV on. My mom thinks it's weird. I don't like to write with the TV on, though, especially if it's a show I like. When I write, sometimes I feel stressed and frustrated, and the next time I watch the episode that was playing while I was writing, I feel all tired and moody and I don't want to watch it anymore. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    But I don't wanna shoot the Sheriff.
    Mood isn't effected so much for me, as the plot.

Burden in my hand has spawned this god-awful mess, rolling down the mountain of my mind getting bigger and bigger, envloping all in it's story of Lost Prophecy, damnit. Prophecy!

9. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I usually find music that has lyrics to be distracting, but I'm okay with word-free songs playing while I write. The one exception to that seems to be Metallica. It's strange, but when I listen to Metallica, the quality of my writing goes through the roof for about half an hour. Then when I start to hear the same songs again, it goes back to normal.

10. knoxvicious

knoxvicious New Member

Sometimes...I usually just write phrases from the song when i listen to it, but it's really noticeable. Which leads to me deleting it :)

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

So do I.

But I sort it out. I listen to my MP3s and I think about what kinda of story I want to write.
    And depending on that I put it in my writing playlist.

I can't function without music.

12. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this but how many of you listen to music while you read and do you think it's a good idea?

Depending on the music you're listening to, I've heard that you tend to steer off track and write something that is parallel to emotion conveyed in the song. I guess that's why writers listen to different types of music while writing different scenes..Any thoughts?

I listen to a lot of linkin park, muse and sometimes classical music. What about you guys?:)

13. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I believe that music is the root of all art.

I usually don't listen to music while I read unless it's classical music and very quiet in the background. I don't ritualistically listen to music everytime I try to write something either, but often times when I'm stuck on conveying a particular emotion I will turn to music for inspiration.

Classical music is the best bet for me when I'm trying not to get distracted. The album Bridges by the band Jets Overhead has really helped me make some important decisions about a character and story I've been thinking about. The album ended up acting like the soundtrack to the story, which was super cool to experience.

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hmmm. I don't tend to listen to music when I read, because music has its own moods and emotions, and I don't want them to conflict with those of whatever it is I'm reading.

However I do listen to music when I write, for precisely the same reason- I can control the music based on what it is I'm writing, so that the moods are complimentary.

15. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I find that music distracts me sometimes; while other times it helps me. But it does help me come up with ideas for the story, not necessarily while I'm actually writing them.

16. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I write to music...every time. Usually Bruce Springsteen, it's his energy it keeps me focused.

Reading is different, I do read while listening to music, but the music is usually soft and turned down low. It's funny, I can remember when I first read The Notebook, I was reading an exceptionally touching line and this song I was playing hit me, that mixed with the emotion of the story and I had to put the book down, I was crying so hard...LOL
    I guess it's a testament to the power of music and the written word.

17. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Music is a must when I'm writing. I usually set the player for random and just let it flow over me.

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I don't always listen to music while writing, but often. It gets the creative energies flowing more easily than just sitting there, waiting for something to happen. I don't listen to anything in particular, but Gackt (Japanese band) got me started on my current project, and Metallica is helping to keep it alive. I honestly have no idea why.

19. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I can't listen to music when writing or reading. I'd LIKE to, but it simply distracts me too much. I absolutely can't focus on reading when music is on, and if I'm writing, I completely tune the music out, so there's no point to listening.

Music inspires my writing, just not when I'm actually writing it! I tend to rather imagine certain music as the "soundtracks" for my stories, and just THINK about the writing while listening to it.

The artists/groups that really inspire me are Adiemus, Era, Lesiem, Within Temptation, ES Postumus, and Globus...just gorgeous music. Lots of instrumentation and choirs. Nice and soundtracky.

20. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

I need to listen to music when I write. Right now I'm compiling a playlist so I can write without having to skip through a bunch of songs to find one that suits the mood.

21. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

It really depends on the mood I want to be in for what I write - at times I need complete silence, other times I listen to anything and everything from classical and opera to metal/idustrial music.

22. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Music distracts me too much to be able to read or write while listening to it :(

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I find complete silence way too distracting. But music distracts me too - it's too regular. I work best with a TV on in the background, and other random noises help too.

24. feather

feather New Member

I'm a horror writer and headbanger. Perfect marriage for me:)
    When I'm building suspense and looking the climax in the eye, I need metal tunes blasting.
    Sometimes a Goth band like Apocalyptica with the cellos work as well depending on my theme.
    Other than that, I need total quiet.
    I'm such a liar. I always leave the TV on like Cogito said. Its just always there, I don't even consider it noise.

25. Writer's Coin

Writer's Coin New Member

music

I'm with Tehuti: I can't listen to music when I'm writing or reading—it's too distracting. But it is key to getting new ideas to write about. Listening to music while I'm running or just staring out the window is bound to get my mind wandering and usually leads to a good story idea or two.